Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Mar 19, 2010, 5:45 AM   #11

GW - congratulations on your new system - may it last a long time and serve you well!
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwinger View Post
I finally got my computer built the way I wanted.
All I can say is WOW this things flies here to there and back again in nothing flat, can stop on a dime and give back a nickle in change! Using Windows 7 Pro 64bit with i7core, 12gigabyt of 3ddr ram two tera byte hard drive and 24X DVD SATA burner. I just got it built and with what I've seen so far has been jaw dropping. It comes with a certificate claiming it a weapon of mass production!

Now I have no excuse not to get out and take some photos
I remember when I thought going from the Commodore 64 to the 128 was an upgrade.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:57 AM   #13

You did it again GW...I now have computer envy. I can never look at mine the same way....Shame on you!! LOL
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
I'm not impressed until you do what I'm doing, watercool and overclock your system.
And don't forget the supercharger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
I remember when I thought going from the Commodore 64 to the 128 was an upgrade.
Regards
And I upgraded from single sided floppys on the CPM Osborne 1 to doublesided ones on a DOS IBM clone . . . . then came Windows and now I am on a Mac - no more Microsoft Mayhem (when a security update crashed Windows and I tried to get help from an Indian "tech rep" without success, I demanded to speak to a supervisor, who refused to help and advised me to get Mac . . . . so I did, and I haven't looked back!
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Administrator

Congrats GW. That sounds like a nice system, and the Core i7 CPUs are really nice for image processing.

But, how will you get by with only 12GB of memory?

It's amazing how much power you can get in a desktop anymore compared to when I got my first "serious" PC (an Apple with 64KB of RAM).

Ditto for how much storage you can get in a tiny memory card. I'm reminded of that whenever I see a larger capacity card come out, as my first hard drive only held 5MB (not 5GB). I've still got that drive (used in an "IBM Compatible" PC I built in the early 80's when I got tired of swapping floppies with my Apple). Of course, I'm a "pack rat" when it comes to keeping old PCs, and I've still got that PC (as well as an Apple II+), not to mention boxes and boxes of floppy disks. LOL

By the way guys... as a reminder, we now have a Computers and Operating Systems Forum. So, please feel free to post there when discussing needs for PCs, MACs, Displays, Networks, File Storage and more.

Larger file sizes from newer cameras and more advanced image processing techniques can require more advanced hardware to process, display and store those images (not to mention the demands of processing video, as more and more cameras have that ability now).

So, from my point of view, it made sense to add a forum to discuss those computer related needs, and share information about hardware and operating systems. But, it hasn't seen much activity yet.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:10 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Congratulations GW!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:40 PM   #17

Wow. I didn't expect so many replies on this thread!
I was just being the big overexcited kid that I am, and wanted to share my excitement. Sorry Big Dawg, I'll try to contain myself more in the future, last thing I need is to have Mrs Dawg mad at me.

Mike, I thought about it but, I don't do any gaming and don't think I'll need to over clock my processor for my needs. its suppose to be clockable to over 4ghz but doubt I will mess with it.

Phil, I wanted the 940 but it was $250 more than the 920 so...
I already spent way more than I wanted too.

I did get the Thermaltake Speedo VI90001N2Z Full-Tower Case with
9 fan ports (only using 3 now) its also prefabricated for water cooling and top mount radiator and, has a total of 12 drive bays.

The mother board is the Asus "Super computer" board which will support (get this JimC) 32 gig Ram if I ever feel the need to upgrade it. Has 7 expansions slots, 6 internal and 2 external sata headers plus 12 USB ports. 2 LAN ports, 2 SCSI header w/RAID support.

To answer Ned's question, Yes it matters some. For my needs I was told I only needed a 512mg graphics card but, I went with a 1mg ENVIDA 9800 just to be sure. The cost was reasonable and it is preforming nicely.

For all my fellow old-timers out there... Its hard to believe its been 40 years since I got my first computer, a Radio Shack TRS-80! I even paid an extra $100 for an extra 4K of RAM to make it scream with a total of 8k!
At those prices, $25 per Kb what would 12 gig cost?
Hard drives were not an option then but Flopy drives were. all I had was a cassette tape player for data storage! Then, in the late 80's I really got into it and started building computers for my friends, and customers. I guess you could call me a geek back then but, in the past 10 years I have let my learning slide to the point that I don't know about or understand a lot of the newest technology. Now I know just enough to get myself in trouble.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Mar 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Congrats GW. That sounds like a nice system, and the Core i7 CPUs are really nice for image processing.

But, how will you get by with only 12GB of memory?

It's amazing how much power you can get in a desktop anymore compared to when I got my first "serious" PC (an Apple with 64KB of RAM).

Ditto for how much storage you can get in a tiny memory card. I'm reminded of that whenever I see a larger capacity card come out, as my first hard drive only held 5MB (not 5GB). I've still got that drive (used in an "IBM Compatible" PC I built in the early 80's when I got tired of swapping floppies with my Apple). Of course, I'm a "pack rat" when it comes to keeping old PCs, and I've still got that PC (as well as an Apple II+), not to mention boxes and boxes of floppy disks. LOL

By the way guys... as a reminder, we now have a Computers and Operating Systems Forum. So, please feel free to post there when discussing needs for PCs, MACs, Displays, Networks, File Storage and more.

Larger file sizes from newer cameras and more advanced image processing techniques can require more advanced hardware to process, display and store those images (not to mention the demands of processing video, as more and more cameras have that ability now).

So, from my point of view, it made sense to add a forum to discuss those computer related needs, and share information about hardware and operating systems. But, it hasn't seen much activity yet.

Hey Jim, That's a great idea. wish I had known that earlier. My problem is, I mainly spend my time here and don't visit the other threads.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:00 PM   #19

Quote:
To answer Ned's question, Yes it matters some. For my needs I was told I only needed a 512mg graphics card but, I went with a 1mg ENVIDA 9800 just to be sure. The cost was reasonable and it is preforming nicely.
Good going, when someone says "all you need is..." just get what you know you need or just get the next thing... video ram is important
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:35 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Hey Jim, That's a great idea. wish I had known that earlier...
Hmmm

What I'd suggest doing is sending me the PC and let me go through it to make sure it's working OK and suitable for your needs. My evaluation should not take more than a year or two.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote