Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:40 PM   #21

Hi GW,

Sounds like a monster!

I've been assembling my own boxes for quite a while now, but I don't keep up with the current technology, so every couple of years, I have to re-educate myself about the what's available and why. . . The last time, I was shocked to find that AGP Vid cards were so obsolete that there were hardly any motherboards available that used them, and that just about everything in drives was now pretty much SATA instead of the EIDE drives that I had used pretty much exclusively. . .

I guess I just can't keep up with all this progress. . .

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:06 PM   #22

The only flaw in the setup is that Pentax has not released a 64 bit PEF driver supporting Windows 7 64 bit Pro version.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 7:08 PM   #23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested_observer View Post
The only flaw in the setup is that Pentax has not released a 64 bit PEF driver supporting Windows 7 64 bit Pro version.
If you mean codecs so that Windows Explorer and WIC enabled applications can decode and display images using .pef files, try this solution:

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/codecs/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Hmmm

What I'd suggest doing is sending me the PC and let me go through it to make sure it's working OK and suitable for your needs. My evaluation should not take more than a year or two.
Not a problem Jim, all I need is $45 for shipping and its on its way! oh, and a small deposit to cover any possible damage or loss. Two G's should cover it OK.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:41 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
Hi GW,

Sounds like a monster!

I've been assembling my own boxes for quite a while now, but I don't keep up with the current technology, so every couple of years, I have to re-educate myself about the what's available and why. . . The last time, I was shocked to find that AGP Vid cards were so obsolete that there were hardly any motherboards available that used them, and that just about everything in drives was now pretty much SATA instead of the EIDE drives that I had used pretty much exclusively. . .

I guess I just can't keep up with all this progress. . .

Scott
Know exactly what you mean Scott. This board had it all so I thought I was good to go, I had a good DVD burner and a 500g IDE drive so, I didn't order those items. When I got it almost put together I started looking for the IDE header... had to make a trip down to Staples and get a DVD & HDD to finish up!

Old Mar 19, 2010, 9:46 PM   #26

BTW, anybody know of a 64bit program that will convert RAW to jpeg like the one I was using? IJFR. instant jpeg from raw. will batch convert a ton of raw files to jpeg very quickly! but can't run on my 64bit system.

Old Mar 19, 2010, 10:09 PM   #27

Woo you guys really do know your stuff ok so I may not be up to par in what s what I dont even read that stuff I fall asleep but warp speed is all that every one wants ya know you could start a service and proclaim to build if faster and better at warpness unknown... so tell me some one said something about having instead of a disc but a Octagon key 6 or 8 sides and it could hold so much more information for we have primary colors and then secondary and so forth.....what do ya think of that... I think that if they went with colors for each level it could hold up to much more information than a simple disc.... I have family in the business of Technology Bigelow Aero Space as well as Space men that are of all old and of ripe age oppps I forgot the g for gripe..... only I don't have to hear that ...got enough it here in the house...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:29 AM   #28

Default At what cost, and where done?

It may be unkind of me to ask, but what sort of money does such a setup cost? Also, what sort of company will build such a system for you? Also, I am interested in a Blu-Ray DVD burner. Who makes them? If I copy a plain DVD using the B-R burner, does the new disc get better than the original, and will that even work? Also, the cooling water, is it a closed system with some kind of storage tank, or must you have a fresh water connection and a waste method? I am not into gaming, but do like to work with extraordinarily good equipment.
Old Engineer
Old Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:29 AM   #29
Administrator

I don't know what CPU model (only that he got a Core i7 type), case, video card that GW ended up with.

But, you can get a similar sounding system using a case with plenty of drive bays, a Core i7 930, 12GB of 1600mhz DDR3 (most of the manufacturers like Dell, etc., use slower 1333Mhz memory), a 600 Watt PSU, a 2TB drive, Asetek Liquid Cooling, an Nvidia 1GB GT220 video card, as well as a Blue-Ray Burner for around $1554 with Win 7 Pro and a 3 year warranty from someone like http://www.cyberpowerpc.com from what I can see of current prices. That sounds similar to the GW's system, only I added in a Blu Ray Burner instead of a DVD RW drive. For a 22x DVD-RW drive versus a drive that's also an 8x Blu Ray burner, subtract $178 (bringing the system price down to around $1376).

These guys are usually going to be less than what a local builder would charge you (prices are not much more than you'd pay for the components alone) and you get a 3 year warranty. Here's a config I just saved that way as an example, starting with one of their configurators and changing a few options (and note that this link won't be good for very long, as they remove them soon after you save a link to a config that you've tweaked this way due to price changes, etc.) . If you look under the menu choices for accessories and software, you'll see some of the other items selected (like win 7 pro under software).

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saving/show.aspx?id=2528412

But, there are lots of different ways to configure one (different cases, CPUs, motherboards, memory types, power supplies, video cards, etc., that can impact prices when putting together a system. For example, the system that Black Knight mentioned earlier in the thread is using a better motherboard, a faster CPU, a more expensive memory type, higher end case, better PSU, much faster video card and more, increasing the cost of a system. But, unless you're into gaming and need the fastest frame rates possible, you probably don't need a system with some of the components he used (for example, the very high end EVGA Nvidia GTX 295 based video card alone would probably run you close to $700).

So, I'd start with your desired budget and work from there and get some recommendations on a system optimized for better performance (for example, using separate smaller drives for the Operating system and programs; data, scratch, etc., to spread i/o out for faster access versus a single 2TB Drive).

As for liquid cooling, it's a closed system, and the one I used in the above config is made by Asetek and uses a small radiator and fan. You'll see other options in their config screens. And no, you're not going to improve quality by writing the same files to a different media type. But, if you're working with higher end video, then you'll need more room to store it, along with compatibility for players capable of playing it, which is where a Blu Ray burner can come in.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:10 AM   #30
Administrator

P.S.

Of course, you can spend lots more if you want to. For example, if you go to this page, then click on the "Black Mamba" machine these guys offer, and go to it's customize screens, they now have them with the new Core i7 980x Extreme (which has 6 physical cores + 6 virtual cores via Hyperthreading, so that the OS sees 12 cores), and their base system already has the 30%+ overclocking option added in. That one uses a much higher end Case, better PSU, better Motherboard, better liquid cooling system, dual liquid cooled video cards, dual SSDs in a RAID 0 for the Operating System and more. If you really wanted to go "no holds barred", you could easily spend over $6K on one if you used something like four Intel SSDs in a RAID 0+1 for the OS, plus four 1TB Drives in a RAID 0+1 for the data, etc. :-)

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/landingpages/fang/

There are much more expensive builders around, too. These guys are lower priced than most for equivalent hardware. :-)