Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:00 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I don't know what CPU model (only that he got a Core i7 type), case, video card that GW ended up with....
I missed one of his earlier posts. I does look like he went with a nicer MB and Case than the base system I mentioned. It all depends on what you want to do with one and how much you want to spend, as it can be easy to spend a lot of dough on a system. ;-)

Personally, I tend to buy cheap systems and just upgrade more often, as technology is advancing at a pretty good pace now, and the "latest and greatest" CPUs, video chipsets, etc., are usually going to demand a premium. How much your time is worth to you also comes into consideration, as you may find it's worth it to pay a lot more for each small increase in performance, depending on what you're trying to do.

The builder you choose can also enter the equation. For example, some users really like these guys:

http://www.pugetsystems.com

But, personally, I wouldn't spend as much as they want for their systems, no matter how good their build quality is. :-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:04 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
It may be unkind of me to ask, but what sort of money does such a setup cost? Also, what sort of company will build such a system for you? Also, I am interested in a Blu-Ray DVD burner. Who makes them? If I copy a plain DVD using the B-R burner, does the new disc get better than the original, and will that even work? Also, the cooling water, is it a closed system with some kind of storage tank, or must you have a fresh water connection and a waste method? I am not into gaming, but do like to work with extraordinarily good equipment.
Old Engineer
Hi Old Engineer

Jim C: Hit the nail on the head. Its All in what You want and Need. I Went more Top Shelf, because i Do Game. In my past system I went throught Two Graphics card in a Short period of Time. And added RAM ETC
So this time i went more Full Boat so i Dont keep having To replace parts a year down the Road. Depending on your needs you Could go Much less.
Anyway to answer your Question My system Cost about $2600 and I Built it personally. This was last Oct. So prices may have changed.

BTW I second Jim C on Cyberpower. I have purchased Three Systems from them and they were all Good units.

As to Blue ray burners- Sony, LG and Lite-on Make BR Burners. Whether to get a burner at all was a toss up for me. I wanted To be able to play BR Disc on My PC, Since I already have a Blue ray player for My TV. You can get a player Only for the PC but i decided since i was going High end I might as well get a Burner.I have not actually Burned anything Yet as the discs are around $5. I have a few blank discs, but really have no Need to try burning anything .
The BR Burner Will burn all CD/DVD/BR. I Have Burned many a DVD Movie
And i see no improvement on the PC. So that maybe a Software Thing.
I think that you may be thinking of the Home BR Player for the TV as its is my understanding that it up converts the DVD and makes it look Better.
And the home Player will Do that.

Phil

Last edited by Black Knight; Mar 20, 2010 at 11:07 AM.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:34 AM   #33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Knight View Post
BTW I second Jim C on Cyberpower. I have purchased Three Systems from them and they were all Good units.l
BTW, they've got a location in the U.K. now, too. I'm aware of one of our forum members that bought a Core i7 920 based box from them in the U.K. a while back that was pleased with it, mentioning that he would have probably spent just about as much for the same parts building it himself there. They do seem to have pretty good prices for a builder with the options they offer.

Here's their UK based web site for those of you on the other side of the pond:

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/

In the U.S., here's where you can find them:

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

For those of you building your own, http://www.newegg.com is a good vendor to look at for parts here in the U.S.

I buy most of my computer related parts and accessories from them. They've got great prices for memory cards, too.

But, again, we have dedicated Computers and Operating Systems Forum now for discussing computer related needs. So, hopefully, we'll get more users sharing information there as time passes.

Besides, I'm probably hijacking GW's thread with all of this info. LOL
Old Mar 20, 2010, 12:07 PM   #34

Jim C

I have to agree. The best place for getting Computer parts is from New Egg. I also use amazon on Occasion.

Phil
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:33 PM   #35

Jim and Phil,

Another endorsement with highest praise for Newegg! I've used them almost exclusively for computer components for at least the past 10 years. There's not a more reputable online dealer for anything as far as I'm concerned. There's nothing like a one stop source for anything you need.

I always build from components at least a generation old. I don't need leading edge, and the savings are significant.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 1:45 PM   #36

I have actually gone the other direction. Picked up a small HP mini, 1.6GHz dual core Atom, 1GB RAM (expandable to 2), 160GB disk, 10 inch screen, built in wireless, weighs in at 2 pounds and the battery has lasted 6 hours on a single charge. Costco has them for $350. Works well on a plane, and links up nicely at the hotel. USB ports to tether with my K20. Nice colors on the screen (density could be a bit better), and in my opinion, sufficient power to download and work with images (elements and bibble pro). Maybe not a barn burner, but it works very well for me.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 2:13 PM   #37
Administrator

interested_observer

You may want to give something like JoliCloud a spin on a netbook like your HP Mini. It's a lower resource Linux based operating system that is optimized for netbooks, with a user interface designed specifically to work better in less screen real estate. They've also customized the look and feel of some of the included applications like Firefox so that more room is available for browsing with less taken up by toolbars, etc. Note that Bibble has a Linux version you can download and install, too. You'll want to download the .deb version of Bibble for use with this distro (as it's using an Ubuntu base). Just use the same code you used with the Windows version of Bibble it to unlock it after you install it. It should only take you about 15 minutes to install a distro like Jolicloud it in a dual boot config with Windows (where you could boot into the desired operating system via a menu choice each time your restart your PC). It's free:

http://www.jolicloud.com/

I've got a little Eee PC 900 (8.9" display) that I take with me when away from the house when running around locally with a similar linux distro on it (I've got one called Eeebuntu on it right this minute). But, I have a hard time using it's keyboard (it's too small for me, so I "fat finger" the keys a lot when I try to type much with it). Your larger HP Mini model would better in that area. Of course, you can use external monitors and keyboards with them if you're at home.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 4:10 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Engineer View Post
It may be unkind of me to ask, but what sort of money does such a setup cost? Also, what sort of company will build such a system for you? Also, I am interested in a Blu-Ray DVD burner. Who makes them? If I copy a plain DVD using the B-R burner, does the new disc get better than the original, and will that even work? Also, the cooling water, is it a closed system with some kind of storage tank, or must you have a fresh water connection and a waste method? I am not into gaming, but do like to work with extraordinarily good equipment.
Old Engineer

Hello OE,
I don't mind you asking at all but, as the others mentioned, you can go much higher or much lower in price than what I paid and still have a similar build. One thing to remember is "you get what you pay for" in performance and quality. I went a little on the high side of middle of the road. I went with the core i7 920 instead of the core i7 940, and saved $250. I put that money towards a top notch mother board that cost $430 but, I could have gotten one by the same maker for $150 that would support my processor and DDR3 memory. It just didn't have all the other features I wanted. Another example, the case I got was on sale for $139 normally $189, I could have gotten a case for as little as $39 or as high as $800 just for a case. the same goes for every other part you buy so, you get my point, you have to decide whats right for you and don't pay for something you don't need just to have the latest and greatest. I put just under $2000 in mine after getting the second tera byte hard drive and the DVD burner, and I'm very happy with it. If I wanted to do gaming I probably would have spent twice that to get get close to what I wanted. That could be one of the reasons I don't do gaming!

Here is where I got my parts from. I have dealt with Tiger direct for several years and have been happy with the service and prices they offer on computer parts. They have specials deals all the time and that's where you can really save.
That's where my daughter got the 28 inch monitor for $250... regularly $319 I have found some of there prices lower than Newegg's. As far as camera prices go though, forget it!

http://www.tigerdirect.com/sectors/p...ents/index.asp

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...

Last edited by Goldwinger; Mar 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM.
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 4:20 PM   #39

Hey Jim, I don't mind you hijacking my post at all.
Perhaps you should move it to the computer forum to direct traffic there.

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 4:36 PM   #40
Administrator

I can do that if you like (move it). I'll leave a redirect here that you can click on and get to it, too.

It sounds like you got a really nice setup without spending too much given the Case, Motherboard and video card you went with. I haven't done much with Tiger Direct. But, it does look like they have good prices on some things. newegg.com tends to run a lot of specials, too -- along with a lot of combo type savings (motherboard/cpu combos, motherboard/memory combos, case/psu combos, etc.), if you're patient and wait until what you want is included in one of them. I keep a close eye on their e-mail promos and watch their twice a day "shell shockers" for anything I'm looking for, too.