Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:31 PM   #1

Default Well, I did it...

I finally got my computer built the way I wanted.
All I can say is WOW this things flies here to there and back again in nothing flat, can stop on a dime and give back a nickle in change! Using Windows 7 Pro 64bit with i7core, 12gigabyt of 3ddr ram two tera byte hard drive and 24X DVD SATA burner. I just got it built and with what I've seen so far has been jaw dropping. It comes with a certificate claiming it a weapon of mass production!

Now I have no excuse not to get out and take some photos

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2010, 9:37 PM   #2

Default WOW!! Nice system

Speaking as a computer geek... WOW!! I am impressed and starting to get computer envy... if such a thing exists.
Enjoy your new system.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:07 PM   #3

I'm not impressed until you do what I'm doing, watercool and overclock your system. Core2Quad Q6600 (2.4ghz cpu) clocked to 3.61ghz. Yeah, I'm a geek. :P
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:51 PM   #4

GW

Nice System!!!! Isn't it great to have a fast System!!! Well i'm right there with you.

About 5 months ago My P4 system Passed away!!! So determined that i was going To Build a Fast( Fast to me anyway) new System. Heres what i ended Up with
1-Silverstone Raven II Case with 5 case fans
2-Corsair 750W PS
3-Asus Rampage II Extreme Mother Bd
4- Intel I7-940 Quad Core
5-8G of Corsair Dominator DDR-3 RAM
6-Creative Soundblaster X-FI extreme Gamer
7- 1-SATA Terrabite HD
8-LG Blu ray Burner
9-EVGA GTX-295 Video Card
10- Win 7 Pro 64Bit

You are right these things can Fly!!! It Runs PSE 8 and PS CS-3 At Warp Speed. So i guess that makes me a Geek!! Now all i Need to Do is find the Ambition to get out and Shoot.

Good luck With your New Baby!!

Phil

Last edited by Black Knight; Mar 18, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 10:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
I'm not impressed until you do what I'm doing, watercool and overclock your system. Core2Quad Q6600 (2.4ghz cpu) clocked to 3.61ghz. Yeah, I'm a geek. :P
MM

Overclocking and Watercooling Wow!! I am afraid Of getting That deep.
My friends Have tried to convince me To Do it, But i cant bring my self to Do it. Just not that adventurous.

Phil

Last edited by Black Knight; Mar 18, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:04 PM   #6

To be honest, I've been watercooling for several years now in some form or another. I started out with a beginner all in one kit, did ok, played with it tweaked it a little, made it better. But it's not as scary as you might think. Everyone worries about leaks and having tubing burst or something. Well, I've learned a lot over the years and I can set it up and have it ready to roll leak free on the first run. I use 1/2" inside diameter with 1/8" thickness tubing so punctures and breaks in the tubing are not a concern. I also use work clamps at any point where the tubes meet with a barb which guarantees no leaks there as well. The only other consideration is pump failure and that's pretty much taken care of by the protection built into systems nowadays that will shut the system down in the event that the cpu exceeds a certain temp. So it's not as big a deal as it used to be. But I can understand the hesitation. Besides, unless you are overclocking or just that much of a geek, you don't really need it. It's just cool to tell someone that you watercool your computer. Haha.
MadMikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:10 PM   #7

i have no idea what you said
but it sounds impressive
mine is a 2 hamster model (its a bit faster than my old 2 mouse one)
they do drink water to keep cool, i havent tried clocking them yet
maybe they would go faster?

the big question is
how long till you fill the hard drives
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeSS View Post
To be honest, I've been watercooling for several years now in some form or another. I started out with a beginner all in one kit, did ok, played with it tweaked it a little, made it better. But it's not as scary as you might think. Everyone worries about leaks and having tubing burst or something. Well, I've learned a lot over the years and I can set it up and have it ready to roll leak free on the first run. I use 1/2" inside diameter with 1/8" thickness tubing so punctures and breaks in the tubing are not a concern. I also use work clamps at any point where the tubes meet with a barb which guarantees no leaks there as well. The only other consideration is pump failure and that's pretty much taken care of by the protection built into systems nowadays that will shut the system down in the event that the cpu exceeds a certain temp. So it's not as big a deal as it used to be. But I can understand the hesitation. Besides, unless you are overclocking or just that much of a geek, you don't really need it. It's just cool to tell someone that you watercool your computer. Haha.

MM

I Hear you. Well it really Sounds like You are do it the right way. I have heard that the Chips will Shut down if the cooling is not Good. I believe my I7 starts throttling back at 100C.
Never had a desire to overclock. While I Do game occasionally (FPS) with the System. I have no issues With running anything on It. I Did upgrade the fan To a Cool Master V8, Because the Stock fan would run at peak around 75C. I am Currently Playing Far Cry 2 and the temps never exceed 54C with the cool master. Again not a hardcore gamer, So i have no Clue If that a great number.

Phil
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumnut View Post
i have no idea what you said
but it sounds impressive
mine is a 2 hamster model (its a bit faster than my old 2 mouse one)
they do drink water to keep cool, i havent tried clocking them yet
maybe they would go faster?

the big question is
how long till you fill the hard drives

John

LOL

I guess i have a Roadrunner then.
Unless you are a Geek All these are hard to understand. I never cared untill I Got the bug to game and then i starting learning.
What MM and i are talking about is a way to keep the CPU Cool under Heavy use. Normally a fan is used to keep it Cool. But if you Clock the Chip can get hotter than a fan can handle. So in a watercooled System, Cool water is pumped Over the CPU to cool it. Much as your car uses water to Cool the Engine.
Over Clocking the Chip means to speed it up to make it faster than it actual is rated to Be.
Hope this helps.

BTW it wont take long to Fill the Hd for me. Since i Store all my pictures and Videos that i convert and have converted for my Ipod.
Pictures are also backed up several different ways

Phil

Last edited by Black Knight; Mar 18, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:46 AM   #10

GoldWinger, I hope you enjoy your new computer. Curious of how much video ram you have, of with 12 does that matter anymore... Well, enjoy and all the best.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote