Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Apr 27, 2010, 6:14 PM   #21

Thanks Jim. Yesterday i had the chance to see some picks on four LCDs and i also checked some photos from Steve's photographers. On a new Asus notebook LED display the tilting produced such enormous variations of brightness that you couldn't decide anything trustable. On each monitor the results were completely different. I guess the print vs. monitor comparison test is THE test here.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:33 AM   #22
Administrator

That's the way all TN panels work (especially changes with vertical viewing angle). You'll need to move up to a different display type for less change with viewing angle (although you'll still see some change with virtually any of them if viewing angle changes enough, non TN panels are much better in that area). See this post from earlier in the thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/co...ml#post1080266

Here it is again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
For critical photo work, if budget permits, you'll want to go with something other a TN panel type (and TN is the panel type most LCD monitors use).

For example, go with a display using an IPS panel instead. Better panel types won't have as much in way of viewing angle issues like you'd have with a TN type display either.

In terms of suitability for image editing, these panel types are usually best to worst (and you'll find newer variations with all of them).

IPS
PVA
MVA
TN

Here's an article discussing panel types:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm

You'll also find a search feature that you can look up the panel type a given display model uses:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:07 AM   #23
Administrator

P.S.

You may want to look through some of their reviews, too. They've tested a few newer IPS panels recently (including the new HP ZR24W, which is a relatively inexpensive display for an IPS panel type, although it's not a wide gamut display).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews.htm

Here's another site with reviews and tests:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:31 AM   #24

I can get the Dell 2209WA 22", but it's about $600 here. Way too much. Reparing the 2 years "old" Samsung 19" will cost me $60. I guess i'll have to wait for a IPS monitor... Great articles Jim. Learning a lot in this forum. Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:10 PM   #25
Administrator

On a tighter budget, you may want to see if the new HP ZR22W is available there yet. It's using an S-IPS panel type. Like the new HP ZR24W, it's not a wide gamut monitor. But, it covers 97% of the sRGB Color space and would be much better than a TN panel for photo work. It's running $281.49 in the U.S. at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/ZR22W-21-5-INC.../dp/B003D1CFHY

Depending on how much you use other applications, a wide gamut monitor has it's downsides, too (for example, over saturated colors in applications that are not color managed). So, something like an IPS panel that's not wide gamut could make a good compromise (with better quality compared to a TN panel).
Old May 3, 2010, 6:26 PM   #26

While i save for an IPS monitor let me post a question please:

Does the image quality that we see on an LCD (be it TN, IPS, etc.) depend on the graphic card? For instance: will a GForce GTS 250, 1 GB card display better (in terms of sharpness, definition, true colors, contrast, etc.) images than a GForce 8400 GS, 512MB?

Last edited by Ordo; May 3, 2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old May 5, 2010, 8:59 AM   #27

The quality of an image that appears on a computer monitor depends on both the monitor itself and on the display adapter.

For instance, in order to display an image on a monitor, the display adapter must downsample a 12MP image to display it on a 2MP screen, but if the display adapter downsamples the image to a resolution other than the native resolution of the LCD monitor, the monitor must downsample (or upsample) the image again. The result will be lower image quality on the screen. So the display adapter should always be set to the native resolution of the LCD display. (This is not a problem for CRTs, btw.)

And remember that most of the differences between higher performance display adapters and mid-level cards is the ability to render high quality images for videos and games. For still images, you probably won't notice much difference, so long as the display adapter can do everything that the monitor is capable of.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2010, 4:32 PM   #28

Thanks! Great help, as always.
Old May 26, 2010, 4:20 PM   #29

Up front let me state that I have certificates/diplomas from RCA for color TV repair. It was a long time ago, but it is one of the reasons behind why I am more fussy about display quality.

Ive been looking a long time too for an LCD replacement. I picked up a nice Dell Ultrasharp 1800FP at a church sale & as LCDs go it is considered a good monitor. It is IPS. Remember though, there are various kinds & qualities of IPS floating around (eg, S-IPS, H-IPS, e-IPS, etc.& similarly for PVA, MVA, etc.) There are also panels of like technology, but by different manufactures. Some of the things you will want to consider when choosing a display for graphics are:

- Ability to display colors accurately & consistently in all the various parts of the screen & at different viewing angles.
- Ability to display detail in the low light areas (ie, sufficiently bright & no excessive contrast)

When evaluating a monitor, start first with a black & white photo. If a BW cannot be displayed accurately then color photos are not correct. Put up a BW test pattern & ensure that white to black, all the shades of gray bars are seen. Many displays show the last 30% (usually one to two color bar shades before black) as effectively black. This will really hurt your photo experience.

One of the things that is problematic is the lack of brick & mortar stores featuring show room LCDs. With the disappearance of Good Guys, COMPUSA, Tweeter, Circuit City, etc., there are only a few places available to visually inspect the display. In addition, the few left, handle what I consider to be the low end (TN) units as they are what most consumers seem willing to live with, no doubt, because of the price. Most of these displays are suitable for office & games which covers most people. The big rage now seems to be larger & larger panels of the same quality ilk and the 16:9 ratio for HD. (Why anyone want a TN panels for HD is beyond me - seems like an oxymoron.) Ordering a panel mail order is considered high risk. This is based upon the user reviews on sites such a Newegg. Getting a display with a defect and/or dead/hot pixels is seen as quite common. It is best to be able to see the actual display before one purchases it and also to have easy access to return or swap the unit in the event annoying difficulties are encountered or noticed in the first week or so after purchase/use.

Anyway, so far that's my two cents worth. Right now I suppose if money were no object, I would like to try the high end Planar PX212M or NEC2190uxi.

If you're on a limited budget a possibility is: NEC EA231wm (Newegg)

=================
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote