Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:29 PM   #1

Default OT - Need a Monitor

I need a new Monitor. would like 20" to 22" LCD widescreen (anything wider won't fit on my computer desk). I get confused by the specs. What should I be looking for; resolution, contrast ratio, etc. Or just a brand/model recommendation would be good. I'd like to keep it under $200.

Now for the rant. My Gateway HD2201 22" widescreen LCD was great, but for only 14 months of casual home use, an hour or two a day. Now just 2 months out of warranty it's dead. Gateway Customer support won't help me, it's out of warranty.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jim
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:29 PM   #2

Default OT - Need a Monitor

I need a new Monitor. would like 20" to 22" LCD widescreen (anything wider won't fit on my computer desk). I get confused by the specs. What should I be looking for; resolution, contrast ratio, etc. Or just a brand/model recommendation would be good. I'd like to keep it under $200.

Now for the rant. My Gateway HD2201 22" widescreen LCD was great, but for only 14 months of casual home use, an hour or two a day. Now just 2 months out of warranty it's dead. Gateway Customer support won't help me, it's out of warranty.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Jim
Old Apr 14, 2010, 7:35 PM   #3
Super Moderator

copied this to the computer and operating system forum as well, you may get a few replies there too!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:27 PM   #4

The Dell E2210 and 2209WA are good. the 2209WA is obviously better but higher priced. Ive had a few nice monitors in my day but for the price and performance the dells seemed to outlast. My Dell Inspiron 9300 is 4 years old and has high performance screen. It has never failed and displays brilliant color in 16 and 32 bit color modes. The refresh rate on the newer Dells are very fast. 5ms for the 2209WA I believe. A few monitors of mine have went out or the cheap manufacturing fell apart inside or solder joints came loose. A few of those I paid over 250.00 for. Samsung also makes a nice screen but I think Dell has a much higher QA from my experience.
NMRecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 10:46 PM   #5

I would have trouble recommending an Acer widescreen. I have a 22" Acer widescreen with which I have had constant problems getting any sort of calibration, even with a Huey device. Consistently, what I adjust as beautiful, is grossly too light on other monitors.

So, I wouldn't jump on an Acer.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:38 AM   #6

I am using an LG Flatron W2243S in work and it's a pretty good monitor considering the office bought it, so it must be pretty cheap.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:41 AM   #7

Thank you NMRecording - I have been considering the Dells, thanks for the recommendation.

Paul - perfect timing, I was just going to take a lunch break at our local Target to look at the Acer 22" Model H213Hbmid. Glad I checked this thread first, you're a life saver.

Jim
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
I would have trouble recommending an Acer widescreen. I have a 22" Acer widescreen with which I have had constant problems getting any sort of calibration, even with a Huey device. Consistently, what I adjust as beautiful, is grossly too light on other monitors.
Did you adjust the monitor's front panel controls first?

I've got an inexpensive Acer I use with one of my PCs, and you just press the right button and you'll see settings for contrast and brightness. I'd probably go with Contrast 45, Brightness 82 for starters.

Then, exit and press the left button to make sure you're using the User Settings versus one of the presets (text, standard, graphics, movie) by selecting the User Icon on the left of the choices (the Icon that looks like a person on my Acer). My guess is that your monitor is similar. The Acer I use with one PC tested as having the highest uncalibrated color accuracy of any monitor one of the monitor review site had ever tested (which is one of the reasons I bought it). But, you do have to tweak the monitor controls for contrast and brightness and avoid using the presets you can choose from, selecting your user settings instead).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Administrator

For critical photo work, if budget permits, you'll want to go with something other a TN panel type (and TN is the panel type most LCD monitors use).

For example, go with a display using an IPS panel instead. Better panel types won't have as much in way of viewing angle issues like you'd have with a TN type display either.

In terms of suitability for image editing, these panel types are usually best to worst (and you'll find newer variations with all of them).

IPS
PVA
MVA
TN

Here's an article discussing panel types:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles...chnologies.htm

You'll also find a search feature that you can look up the panel type a given display model uses:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:18 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a200user View Post
...I'd like to keep it under $200...
Oops. I missed that part. Disregard my last as you're not going to find anything other than a TN panel type for $200.

Note that one thing you may want to consider is going refurbished. For example, Dell Outlet often has some good deals on their refurbished displays, and it looks like you could pick up a 24" display for around $179 now, or a 22" for around $139 now (TN panel types).

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/periph...or&s=dfh&cs=22