Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Apr 16, 2010, 7:28 PM   #1

Default Email problems with win.7

I recently went to windows 7 64bit. I'm using Firefox and I had been using Thunderbird for my email but, when I down loaded and set it up this time, it won't let me send messages. I can receive but not send. I have heard that this is a problem with win7. anybody know of a fix or another email program that will work?
TIA,

Life's a breeze on a Goldwing...
Goldwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:11 PM   #2

I use Evolution mail in Linux, however it looks like they have a Windows based version now as well:

http://www.dipconsultants.com/evolution/

I'm going to download it in Win7 Ultimate (64bit) to see if it works tomorrow sometime. I'll let you know how it goes.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2010, 11:42 PM   #3

Ok, I just finished installing Evolution mail in win7 64bit with no real issues. It's properly sending and receiving messages for my work and personal email accounts. So it looks to be good to go.

The only issue I did run into was with the small email notification icon that appears down in the system tray near the date and time. When I clicked on that, Evolution puked. I was multitasking, so maybe that had something to do with it. We shall see as I test this further.

Good luck.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:14 AM   #4

A quick update, I have since Uninstalled Evolution mail from Windows 7. While it seemed to run OK at first, it was very flaky and crashed on me several times.

It works perfectly in linux, but for some reason it's not liking Win7.

I tired
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:51 AM   #5
Administrator

GW:

Thunderbird works fine under 64 bit Win 7. If your outgoing mail isn't working, it's probably just the SMTP mail server settings for it.

Thunderbird tries to set the mail servers automatically based on your e-mail address so that you don't have to enter in that information manually (as you do with many e-mail programs). But, sometimes it gets it wrong.

So, just go into Tools>Account Settings and look at the bottom of the left hand list (under your Local Folders) and you'll see a section for Outgoing Server (SMTP). Your incoming mail settings (your POP3 server) is in the Server Section under each account. But, the Outgoing Server (SMTP) information is in a separate section at the bottom of the list.

Click on the Entry for Outgoing Server (SMTP) and you'll see a list of your SMTP servers on the right hand of the page. You can edit any SMTP server enteries using the Edit button.

Just enter the same thing you do with other mail software in that section (or if you check your ISPs help pages, they probably have information on the SMTP server settings you should be using).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:10 AM   #6
Administrator

P.S.

If Thunderbird tells you it can't send outgoing mail when configuring it, it may must be a bug in it's setup, as I saw that with my Thunderbird config even though it works just fine. IOW, check the SMTP server you have configured to make sure it matches your old system's configuration in Thunderbird and then see if it works or not. I've got Thunderbird 3.0.4 installed in a partition with 64 bit Win 7 on it, and it works just fine with my Comcast accounts.

http://www.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/thunderbird/

You can also download Thunderbird 2.0.024 (released last Month) if you prefer the older 2.x versions. Here's the direct download link for it's Windows US English setup file:

https://www.mozillamessaging.com/thu...win&lang=en-US

But, note that 2.0.0.24 is the last planned update to Thunderbird 2. So, I'd use the newer 3.x versions instead (the latest is Thunderbird 3.0.4)
Old Apr 26, 2010, 2:51 PM   #7

Hello Guys,
Jim & Billy, I didn't mean to ignore you. things have been a little rough lately.
I've been real sick and just had my gallbladder removed last Wednesday. I'm recovering
OK, now. I've read your messages and re-downloaded Thunderbird 3.0.4 and re installed it. still having the same problem. I edited the SMTP settings and still on luck. I'm going to give cust serv a call and see what they suggest, not holding my breath though!

Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:03 PM   #8
Administrator

Good Riddance (your Gallbladder).

I had mine removed years ago. I must have tried every "trick in the book" to try and keep it, including diet changes, "Olive Oil flushes" to stimulate bile flow without Gallbladder distress, use of prescription Actigall for two years to try and dissolve the Gallstones, herbal therapy including questionable Chinese formulas to try and dissolve the stones, and much more. I should have let them remove it to begin with, versus being so stubborn about trying to keep it. :-)

P.S.

I hope you feel better soon, and make sure to go out and eat a big plate of something that used to give you problems (i.e., something very greasy like a decent BBQ plate). Then, you'll find that having the surgery was well worth it. LOL
Old Apr 26, 2010, 4:55 PM   #9

Hey Jim,
Very funny, the last couple weeks, anything I ate was giving me a fit!
So now, I should be able to eat anything.

I called customer service (Bright House) and they were worthless. But, it did make me think of something else. The error message kept saying I was attempting to use Sec.Auth. when I wasn't. I went to the window (with tech support) where it gives the option to check the box that says always use... blah blah blah. it wasn't checked.
Well soon as I got off the phone, I went looking for another window that I remember seeing hidden somewhere else that had something to do with security and signing in. Well I found it, cleared that check box and everything is working fine now.
Thanks so much for your help.
See ya.

Old Apr 26, 2010, 5:03 PM   #10
Administrator

Great.. Yep, software anymore has too many settings, and one check box can mess everything up for you. :-)