Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old May 20, 2010, 2:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
... and has less wires which Mom like a lot.
There's a downside to that. A wireless mouse is heavier because it must contain batteries to keep working, while wired mice use the USB interface for power. I've always hated using wireless mice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 5:09 PM   #32
Administrator

That depends on the mouse. ;-)

For example, I've got a Microsoft Wireless mouse that's awful. I don't think the weight has anything to do with it. It just has terrible ergonomics. I've had some pretty lousy USB attached [wired] mice, too.

But, I've got a little Logitech wireless mouse that I like. It's a much smaller mouse with much better ergonomics and it only uses one AA battery. I don't know the exact model (I don't see it marked on the mouse anywhere). But, from what I can see of the features page at this listing (where it shows the rubber side panels, etc.), it looks like it's the same basic design as this V220:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/mice_p...e/devices/3295

We got it the same time as we bought a refurbished Inspiron 1720 laptop from Dell Outlet a while back (end of 2007), and it still works just fine, as does the laptop. Of course, we do have to replace the battery in the mouse from time to time. But, that's no big deal.

I've had more than than one wired mouse fail that I use with my desktops since we got that wireless Logitech (usually due to a short developing in the cord). Yet, the wireless Logitech still works fine.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 5:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
There's a downside to that. A wireless mouse is heavier because it must contain batteries to keep working, while wired mice use the USB interface for power. I've always hated using wireless mice.
TCav I believe what Calicajun is saying is that the iMac is an all-in-one that only has one set of power plugs to worry about. You don't get that mess of cables that is associated with separate CPUs, displays and speakers (speakers are internal and of high quality). The keyboard and mouse leads are minimum hassles.

Cheers

Bernice
(From my 20", 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo workplace iMac )

Last edited by onlooker; May 20, 2010 at 11:16 PM.
onlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 8:46 PM   #34

I understand the attraction of not having all the cables, though personally, I take great comfort in the fact that, if one component fails, I can simply replace that component, instead of lugging the entire computer to the Apple Store. And when I want to upgrade one component, I don't have to replace all the others. A key consideration in dealing with cables is to make sure you've got cables are the correct length. But, of course, that's beyond the scope of what the typical home user is capable of, let alone a typical user's mom.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 11:06 PM   #35

Yep, Mom likes the all in one idea. She also want it to be smiple to use with big icons and a 21" screen. She use to do pretty well on her old PC running XP but she never becoame use to Vista and some of the software changes in he AOL mail account. So she been off the computer for at least two years and will be having to learn the computer all over again.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 11:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Yep, Mom likes the all in one idea. She also want it to be smiple to use with big icons and a 21" screen. She use to do pretty well on her old PC running XP but she never becoame use to Vista and some of the software changes in he AOL mail account. So she been off the computer for at least two years and will be having to learn the computer all over again.
Your Mum sounds just like the elderly neighbour I inherited when we moved into our house a couple of years ago and her Mac needs. Set it up simple and visible, get her to make notes of the steps she needs to use (then she can feel and be more independent when not being sure what comes next) and before you know it she'll be humming along quite happily just like my neighbour now is. The calls I get from her now are the "Look what I did!" kind.

I think your Mum will be quite happy with the Mac - especially as she has had a break from the PC which means there will be less confusion for her with the new interface.

Have fun!

Bernice
Old May 20, 2010, 11:57 PM   #37

"I think your Mum will be quite happy with the Mac - especially as she has had a break from the PC which means there will be less confusion for her with the new interface.

Have fun!"

I agree with what you said, but still she will have a newer and maybe even faster computer than I do, that just not right.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:51 AM   #38

Update:
Mom went and bought the 27" Mac from Best buy. Nice computer so far, does seem to be a bit easier to use the basic stuff, internet and e-mail. Mom says if she can't learn how to use this computer she is giving it to me. Hope it will run my PSE8 and PSP-X3 photo programs. Will say that the 27" monitor looks great, can get use to the bigger screen with no problem.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:56 AM   #39

A day late and a dollar short, I finally noticed this thread. I just got a new Mac Mini from Best Buy. I just plugged it in and after typing my name a couple times for setups I was surfing. emailing and anything else I wanted to do. Its 6.5 x 6.5 x 2.5 inches in size. You need the monitor, keyboard and mouse which are bought separately. But if anything happens to any one part you just replace that part and not the whole thing. Its been said here a few times, but the big thing about the Mac that stands out far and above any PC is its freedom from virus and other crap like that. Ive been using Macs since the first one back in 1988. Ive never had to install malware, spyware or any other kind of ware for its protection. Im on the internet all the time and never ever had a problem from virus etc. So ease of use and its protection from internet baddies, Id say that would be reason enough to get a Mac. As for software, that can be had like everything else, from the internet. Gotta say though she will never ever be sorry she got the 27" iMac. I dont think it will come into your possession Cali.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:36 PM   #40

Hi Bynx,
Well so far she hasn't done anything with the computer yet, so there is still a chance for me to get it from her. Of course knowing my Mom she will wait until just pass the return date. If I get it from her I would take it back and upgrade it to the I7 or at least I5 CPU from the Dual Core CPU.

By the way, how do you right click with a I-Mac mouse as there is only one button?