Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:25 AM   #41
Administrator

It looks like you can assign a secondary click in system preferences so that it behaves like a two button mouse. See this page about it:

http://www.apple.com/magicmouse/

I think you can use the Ctrl Key at the same time you click with some setups, too (if you don't enable the secondary click preference). I also think OSX supports a standard two button mouse if you prefer a different one. Perhaps some of our Mac users will chime in with tips.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Hi Bynx,

By the way, how do you right click with a I-Mac mouse as there is only one button?
As Jim C said either command - click (command is what used to be called the apple key because it had an apple on it - but now it might have a funny four-sided loopy icon on it - forgotten its name) or you can set the scroll button to scroll and right-click by setting it as secondary button.

To set up the secondary button go to 'system preferences' (the gear/cog in the dock - which is usually along the bottom of the screen) then to 'keyboard & mouse'. Here you will find the following set-up box (this is mine)

Name:  mouse-clicks.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  144.7 KB

I have turned off the two funny little squeeze controls on the side of the mouse, because if you hang on to the mouse too tightly at those points you get all sorts of extra items opening up and flying across your screen. The primary button is the clickable top of the mouse.

Choose secondary button in the designated drop-box and bob's your uncle or sarah's your aunt , whichever. Then to scroll you just roll your finger across the little ball and to right click you give it a little press down.

You can also use a two-button mouse but I don't know which one.

Cheers and get your Mum going before she gets frustrated with waiting!

Bernice
PS: the scroll button gets a bit temperamental at times and needs to be cleaned by turning the mouse upside down and gently rolling the button around on a damp cloth. Alternatively just use the scroll bars. I set mine up so that they are together on the bottom right-hand corner of the frame.

Last edited by onlooker; Jul 15, 2010 at 6:19 PM.
onlooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:30 PM   #43

Bernice,
I'll look into the setting menu this weekend while we are at Mom's house. They may be something there to help, just not sure. Her mouse has no roller ball in it but very cool scrolling. Just slide your finger up or down or right or left, works great.
Do plan on spending time setting up her computer and showing her how to use some of the basic stuff.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:45 PM   #44

Wow! I see what you mean Clicajun - I've just caught up with a review of the 27" iMac's magic mouse at:

http://gizmodo.com/5386202/apple-magic-mouse-review

part of which says "Even though there's no clear delineation between right and left buttons on the mouse itself, the Magic Mouse knows to interpret a click on the left or right half appropriately (though right click needs to be activated from inside System Preferences before you can use it)

Sigh! How I wish ...

Bernice
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:27 AM   #45

Bernice, thanks for that link.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 6:48 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Bernice,
I'll look into the setting menu this weekend while we are at Mom's house. They may be something there to help, just not sure. Her mouse has no roller ball in it but very cool scrolling. Just slide your finger up or down or right or left, works great.
Do plan on spending time setting up her computer and showing her how to use some of the basic stuff.
Of course you can always go out an buy a cheap Kensington mouse, and set it up so that the right button, is, err, the right button.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 12:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Of course you can always go out an buy a cheap Kensington mouse, and set it up so that the right button, is, err, the right button.

Dave
Hi Chato, nice to see you back on the board.
Found out how to set up the right chick in settings, there is no button, the mouse just knows what to do when you tap the right side of the mouse. Very cool. Might have to get a I-Mac and give my PC to my son. He burned something out on his, gets no power at all, and being six years old (the computer not my son "17") it's time for a new one. This is of course after we get my car out to the shop as I was hit driving on the freeway, daughter car is in the shop also for transmission coolant weak and the wife's car rear window no longer stays up.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:20 AM   #48

I dont use the imac mouse. I use a wireless one from Macaully. But the new Mac mouse is unbelievable and when I got $75 to spend on one I will get it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2010, 1:08 AM   #49

I was very impressed with the magic mouse too. We were thinking of getting a new computer this weekend but with two cars in the shop and the third one also needing to go in also. We will have to wait a while before buying a new computer.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 12:10 PM   #50

I used a PC for 20 years. I looked at Mac's years ago and they were not very "business friendly". But Apple has come a long way and changed attitudes. Between work and home I own 17 Mac's (combination of MacBook Pro (laptop), iMac (have 3 27" and love them) and Mac Mini). Applecare is the best. One to One is the best $100 you will ever spend (training for your new Mac).

I would recommend if possible, going to a Apple store or retailer and trying for yourself.

And although I hear good things about Windows 7, you will have the baggage that comes with Microsoft and whatever hardware manufacturer (Dell, HP) that made it.

One last thing I would strongly encourage - if Mom lives close to an Apple Store, sign her up for the One-To-One training. As stated above, it will be the best $100 you ever spent.

Last edited by jim853; Jul 21, 2010 at 12:23 PM.
jim853 is offline   Reply With Quote