Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old May 14, 2010, 7:30 PM   #1

Default Apple Question

For all you Apple computer users here is a question for you. What do you Apple users think of the Best Buy 27' IMac MB952LL/A computer? My PC just doesn't seem to be able to keep up with limited photo editing, slow loading and some functions of the editing software won't even work. Current computer is a Gateway LX6200-01 Quad cord with a upgraded 1 gig video card added and yet it still take two minutes to load each picture (from my wife's T1i) into the editing software PSP-X3 & PSE8). Will a Mac work better for photo editing than a PC?
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 14, 2010, 9:38 PM   #2
Administrator

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
... and yet it still take two minutes to load each picture (from my wife's T1i) into the editing software PSP-X3 & PSE8).
You're not trying to load them directly from the camera, are you?

You'll want to copy the photos to a folder on your PC first.

If not (you mean that they're that slow loading from your hard drive), then I'd suspect an issue with software setup like your virus protection (or malware eating resources), too many programs running in the background, etc.; or even a hardware issue of some type.

Was it always that slow, or is this a new problem? What kind of malware protection are you running on it? Is it set to scan all files on access?

That PC has around 8GB of memory right (that's what some specs show for it)? 64 bit Vista, right? Is it fully patched (all service packs, etc.)? I also see where they shipped with an AMD Phenom™ X4 9500. There are faster CPUs around. But, it sounds like something is very wrong if you're seeing it taking 2 minutes to load a photo from a T1i (unless you're trying to load it over USB or something like that, where you may have Canon drivers, USB speed issues, etc., causing a delay).

Are these raw or jpeg images?

Have you looked at Performance Monitor for anything unusual going on?

Now, Vista can be a real dog. But, not 2 minutes to load one photo on a Machine with the specs your Gateway appears to have, unless something really odd is going on with it (something running that's eating up all of your resourses, driver or hardware problem, really slow virus scanner, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2010, 9:56 PM   #3

I like the mac's over the pc now adays, they do a pretty good job with photo editing. I still up a pc at work, but find the make a allot more enjoyable to use.

Vista was horrible, all my family went back to xp on the ps's the brought with vista loaded.
Old May 15, 2010, 12:03 AM   #4

Hi Jim,
I was talking about taking a long time for each picture to load from a folder into the editing programs. I try to keep as little running in the background as possible but computer and me don't always see eye to eye. The computer has 8 gig of memory, Vista 64 and an added 1 gig video card.
Old May 15, 2010, 1:26 AM   #5

I have a 2009 Vaio laptop, stock, and this thing flies, it runs both CS4 and CS5 flawless, no lag or anything. But to each their own.
Old May 15, 2010, 1:57 AM   #6

Maybe eletrons just don't like me.
Old May 15, 2010, 1:59 AM   #7

Got mac it is simpler and less headaches.
Old May 15, 2010, 2:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Got mac it is simpler and less headaches.
Looking into one which is why I was asking about the 27" Imac. Beside my son would love to get my old computer.
Old May 15, 2010, 2:09 AM   #9

27 inch is nice, You will get allot of nice editing down with the large screen. I just a macbook, only 13 inch screen.
Old May 15, 2010, 7:02 AM   #10

The unfortunate part of using a Mac is that application updates and upgrades are slow in coming and sometimes just don't come at all. Microsoft Office upgrades for the Mac are always a year behind upgrades for Windows, Adobe Photoshop Elements for the Mac only gets the even numbered upgrades, and Intuit QuickBooks for the Mac went without an upgrade for years.

There are purposes for which the Mac is clearly superior, but if you've got anything else in mind that you'd like to use your computer for, Windows is a better choice.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote