Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old May 21, 2010, 8:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Everytime I see someone on television saying that Windows 7 was their idea, I want to smack them.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 8:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
They are not going to stop supporting XP anytime soon. Allot of MAJOR US corporation still use XP and will not upgrade to 7. But getting them to support the regular consumer with XP will get a bit more difficult.

But back to the Mac and transition. Apples does a really nice thing for mac users, at apple stores, or mac authorized dealer, Apple provides free classes for apple software, and beginner classes for new user.
My brother in law (who is into photography) and his family made the switch a few years back and has been trying to get me (and anyone else who will listen) to get a Mac. I've got to give it to Apple, they do a great job of marketing and making everything look pretty. It took me some time to buy an iPod touch because I was very against the proprietary nature of the system, having to use iTunes, no Flash except in YouTube, App censorship, etc., but now I can't imagine what I would do without it.
Old May 21, 2010, 8:33 PM   #13

Quote:
But you do not need to go with apple software, you can get photoshop or what every you want also.
The programs for the Mac always do seem to be somewhat more expensive than their PC equivalent for some reason, though.
Old May 21, 2010, 8:35 PM   #14

There are good things to open system and there are good things about proprietary system. There is really no right and wrong, as some may think otherwise. I just prefer the Mac OS right now. It does what I need, and have not had a hiccup. My wife swears that she will never go back to pc. She switch first, and after using her's I switch when they announced 7.

And Apple support is top notch, which I like. Kinda like olympus's and canon's customer service. Which are really good.
Old May 21, 2010, 8:40 PM   #15

They are not as much now, there are getting closer to the PC prices, as more people are switching. Major US companies now have Mac in their IT department. As they chip away at Windows, and there are more people buying Mac stuff the prices do come down. Photoshop for Mac is about the same price as Photoshop for Window.

But if you brother in law has a Mac, borrow his software an install it on your computer. All my software are share between our 2 Macs.
Old May 22, 2010, 6:25 AM   #16

Quote:
I have been keeping up with mac, 2010 should be out in sept or oct.
Office 97 was for Windows. Office 98 was for the Mac.
Office 2000 was for Windows. Office:mac v.X came out in 2001.
Office 2003 was for Windows. Office:mac 2004 was for the Mac.
Office 2007 was for Windows. Office:mac 2008 was for the Mac.

Why would you think this time would be different?

In fact, in August '97, in return for Apple dropping all its outstanding law suits against Microsoft, Bill Gates invested $150,000,000 in Apple (a mere pittance for Bill Gates, even back then), and Microsoft agreed to release versions of Office for the Mac, that would be feature compatible with the Windows version, for the next ten years. That time is up. If Bill Gates wanted to shut down the Macintosh, all he'd have to do is hint that there would be no further development of Office for the Mac. Businesses would drop the Mac like a hot potato.

Do I think Microsoft will release another version of Office for the Mac? Absolutely, though it will continue to be a year late and with one hand tied behind its back.

Last edited by TCav; May 22, 2010 at 7:15 AM. Reason: sp
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 9:13 AM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzer251 View Post
...I am pretty tired of worrying about whether trying out some new downloaded program will negatively affect my machine...
No operating system is immune to issues if you don't install software from a trusted source. ;-)

For example, not all that long ago there was a Mac Botnet because of malware (trojans) hidden inside of pirated software that users downloaded (for example, iWorks, Photoshop CS4).

http://www.intego.com/news/ism0901.asp

http://www.intego.com/news/ism0902.asp

It could have just as easily been something non pirated that someone did the same thing with, even though it appeared to be OK on the surface.

Criminals are constantly doing that kind of thing, and Macs are not immune to it if users install software from untrusted sources (and I've seen very legitimate looking software that contained trojans), even though they have not been targeted much in the past.

So, as time passes, I suspect we'll start seeing more of that kind of thing (trojans hidden in Mac software that users download and install).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 12:08 PM   #18

because window 2010 was being test last nov at work, so sep or oct of 2010 would be a year after the windows version of office was release.
Old May 22, 2010, 12:23 PM   #19

Office 2010 is still in Beta testing. And for about 3 months prior to the release of a new version of Office, Microsoft advertises that people who buy the current version are entitled to a free upgrade to the new version when it comes out, and Microsoft hasn't started doing that yet. In fact, Microsoft just started the Public Beta, which usually lasts about 3-4 months. So that puts the release of Office 2010 for Windows in August at the earliest. That would put the release of the next version of Office:mac deep into next year.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 12:41 PM   #20

we have been using it at work since Nov. They are still trying up grade all 40k computers at work to 2010.