Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old May 22, 2010, 12:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
No operating system is immune to issues if you don't install software from a trusted source. ;-)
That's certainly true. I guess I was referring more to the fact that I sometimes will load a program and it seems to mess up some other part of my system. Likely something in the registry changes and causes some problem. Of course I can always do a system restore, but there have been times when that doesn't work. As I still have a functional and useable system after almost 6 years, I guess I can't complain too much, but they sure do seem to get gunked up over time. Perhaps the Macs are no different.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 1:05 PM   #22

I have not found any of the gunking up on my wife's mac after 2year. Her old HP started to have problems after she loaded a bunch of difference software. Think it was a registry problem. We have not run into any of it with her mac so far.
Old May 22, 2010, 3:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
we have been using it at work since Nov. They are still trying up grade all 40k computers at work to 2010.
Office 2010 hasn't been released yet. I don't know what they're upgrading, but it's not Office.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2010, 3:56 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
... And for about 3 months prior to the release of a new version of Office, Microsoft advertises that people who buy the current version are entitled to a free upgrade to the new version when it comes out, and Microsoft hasn't started doing that yet. ...
I take that back. Microsoft has started doing that.

See http://www.microsoft.com/midsizebusi...px#DownloadNow
Old May 22, 2010, 6:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Office 2010 hasn't been released yet. I don't know what they're upgrading, but it's not Office.
It has for major companies back in Nov, for consumers it will take a little longer.
Old May 22, 2010, 7:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It has for major companies back in Nov, for consumers it will take a little longer.
That's unfortunate, because as of yesterday, people on the Microsoft Technet forums are still reporting bugs. A number of them are with the install process, which would explain why your company is having trouble.
Old May 22, 2010, 8:42 PM   #27

Most like the reason. I asked to have the older office reinstall on my laptop at work. So I hope they will do it next week. I like the new office, but it is flakey.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:05 AM   #28

Hey, i installed Window 7 pro 64 bits and its a total charm! No complaints so far.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 11:37 PM   #29

Here is one of the nicest registry cleaners I have used and is automated and simple enough that anyone can run it without danger. Windows software is horrible when it comes to leaving bits and pieces laying around after closing and in some cases will write the same entries over and over even though they already exist. This one is from Eusing but there are others.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/501701...gistry+cleaner

You also need to remember that XP will only address 3 gig of ram unless you run the 64 bit. That may or may not be a problem depending on the load on your machine. Microsoft is the king of bloatware and nothing in their current offering would indicate this has changed so when it comes to ram the more the better in most cases and can also be the easiest upgrade path.

Windows 7 was supposed to have been started with a clean sheet of paper and will improve with time. Our company policy is to never go to a new MS operating system that has not been in service for at least 12 months. Beta testing will catch bugs but the real fun starts once the code is given to the unwashed masses. I would personally wait on a new operating system until the first major service pack update becomes available. (if waiting is an option)

There have been a number of comments about Office but no one has mentioned Open Office as an alternative. (it is free) One of the women in our office that writes the technical documentation has found a search query that does not work for finding items in text but that has been our only issue. Spreadsheets are fully compatible and there is a Power Point Presentation feature if you use it. http://www.openoffice.org/

PC hardware is undergoing a major transition right now as processor speed for desktop systems hit the wall a while back. The new "I" series family of Intel products uses advances in front side buss channeling and integration streamlining to gain new advances in performance. I do not have any hands on time with the new hardware to say if this was effective as my primary application, Autocad, is not yet supported. Graphics intensive applications should see quite a boost. Any first generation architecture can be a crap shoot as the companies building them do not always get it right the first time out of the gate.

http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html Here is something else that will keep your disk tidy but I would not run this on a drive slower than 5400 rpm or it will take until Christmas the first time it is run.

If your current tasks are completely beyond your current hardware then you may not have many options but if things are borderline then some simple upgrades and keeping your system tidy might be the way to go until the new hardware and operating system has sorted itself.

This advise is worth exactly what you paid for it but if you can make it through another six to nine months it would not be a bad idea. I have been using PC's dating back to DOS version 2.0 and one of the tough lessons learned is try to avoid the first generation of anything when possible.

Steve
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 3:57 AM   #30
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
There have been a number of comments about Office but no one has mentioned Open Office as an alternative. (it is free) One of the women in our office that writes the technical documentation has found a search query that does not work for finding items in text but that has been our only issue. Spreadsheets are fully compatible and there is a Power Point Presentation feature if you use it. http://www.openoffice.org/
You'll want to use Go-OO instead. Basically, it's an improved version of OpenOffice.org. Go-OO is also the version of OpenOffice.org you'll find in the software repositories of most Linux distros.

http://go-oo.org
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote