Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:21 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Laptop died

I just wanted to moan really as I'm having to use my wife's laptop and don't have any of my tools on it and it's not calibrated either. I have a wedding on Monday for which I was working on the pre wedding show from a shoot we did on Thursday, which is now going to be a bit more of a rush as I need to put all the software on here as well as get more ram (this is only 1Gb) etc etc. Bad timing!!!!

Oh, it's the graphics chip that is the problem according to the beeps it makes. Argh!

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2010, 5:40 PM   #2
Administrator

You may want to try reseating everything you can get to, just in case it's only a bad connection somewhere.

My condolences. I had a problem with a netbook a couple of weeks ago when out of town, and I didn't have a full size laptop with me at the time.

In my case, the SSD (Solid State Disk) failed in it. But, it turned out that only "half" the SSD Failed (buffer read errors trying to access anything on the first half of the drive with any tools I tried). So, by starting a new partition half way into the drive capacity, I was able to reinstall an operating system on it using the second half of the drive. Fortunately, I had a USB Flash drive with me with a "Live" Linux distribution on it (Mepis 8.5) that I used to boot into, repartition the drive, and install Linux on the still "good" part of the SSD. See http://www.mepis.org for more info about it.

I keep one like that in my pocket almost all the time (Live Linux distribution on a little USB Flash drive that I can boot into using any PC with a USB port that supports booting from USB).

I'd never even tried that Linux distribution on that netbook. I [wrongly] assumed that a full featured linux distro like that using a KDE 4.x desktop (see http://www.kde.org for more info) would be a bit "heavy" for my little netbook (a low powered Asus Eee PC 900 using a Celeron CPU that I bought a couple of years back). But, everything works just fine (graphics recognized OK, sound works, wireless works, touchpad works, function keys for volume, screen brightness, etc., all work), and performance is great (even better than the distros I've used on it designed specifically for underpowered netbooks). I was impressed.

I'm still using it that way (even though half of it's drive is bad with errors running any type of disk check program). I probably won't even bother to get another drive for it unless the other half of that one has issues (since the second half of the drive that I installed Mepis 8.5 on tests just fine). LOL
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 8:49 AM   #3

You can try blowing the dust out of the graphics chip fan (from the side vent or even better below the keyboard in most laptops). If any of the fans is stuck in a laptop it won't boot.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 9:55 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You may want to try reseating everything you can get to, just in case it's only a bad connection somewhere.

My condolences. I had a problem with a netbook a couple of weeks ago when out of town, and I didn't have a full size laptop with me at the time.

In my case, the SSD (Solid State Disk) failed in it. But, it turned out that only "half" the SSD Failed (buffer read errors trying to access anything on the first half of the drive with any tools I tried). So, by starting a new partition half way into the drive capacity, I was able to reinstall an operating system on it using the second half of the drive. Fortunately, I had a USB Flash drive with me with a "Live" Linux distribution on it (Mepis 8.5) that I used to boot into, repartition the drive, and install Linux on the still "good" part of the SSD. See http://www.mepis.org for more info about it.

I keep one like that in my pocket almost all the time (Live Linux distribution on a little USB Flash drive that I can boot into using any PC with a USB port that supports booting from USB).

I'd never even tried that Linux distribution on that netbook. I [wrongly] assumed that a full featured linux distro like that using a KDE 4.x desktop (see http://www.kde.org for more info) would be a bit "heavy" for my little netbook (a low powered Asus Eee PC 900 using a Celeron CPU that I bought a couple of years back). But, everything works just fine (graphics recognized OK, sound works, wireless works, touchpad works, function keys for volume, screen brightness, etc., all work), and performance is great (even better than the distros I've used on it designed specifically for underpowered netbooks). I was impressed.

I'm still using it that way (even though half of it's drive is bad with errors running any type of disk check program). I probably won't even bother to get another drive for it unless the other half of that one has issues (since the second half of the drive that I installed Mepis 8.5 on tests just fine). LOL
I started to open things up but I then decided against it as it's still under warranty (global), so it's going to the local HP repair centre tomorrow when I've finished backing everything up from the two internal drives so I have all my data while it's away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakisf View Post
You can try blowing the dust out of the graphics chip fan (from the side vent or even better below the keyboard in most laptops). If any of the fans is stuck in a laptop it won't boot.
I will give that a bash just in case, although I'm happy if it is dead as it's too old (I think) for an Egyptian HP centre to be able to get the motherboard for the UK spec machine (they didn't have this option in the middle east with the nvidia chip set), if that's the case they will get me the closest version which is going to be obviously better and there still isn't much with a good graphics chip set so I will be using that as leverage for the best possible.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote