Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:14 PM   #1

Default Photslide show Alogical numbering software

Hi Chums,
Just burnt a dvd with a load of my pics on in win7 Dvd maker Slideshow. I spent ages numbering them then realised it plays the pics back through alogical numbering, so instead of going 123 it goes 1 10 100 101 102 etc.
Does anyone know of any Free software that will automaticaly change your pic files to this type of numbering please?
Cheers Chums.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:54 PM   #2

Hmm, you would think it wouldn't be that hard. If it were linux I could come up with a bash script that would probably help you out, but it looks like you're running windows. I did a little poking, and it appears that there are several programs that will do what you want (and more), but I don't know anything about them. Basically you're going to have to add some leading zeros to your files to get the alpha sort to work correctly. Good luck.
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:13 PM   #3

GraphicConverter on the Mac will do this. Sorry, I don't know of a similar Windows program.

Craig
PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2010, 4:19 AM   #4

Talking

Thank's Guys for the replies.
After much head scratching and searching I've tried it alphabetically and that works so Ill do that till I find a way of changing the numbers.
I clicked each file and did rename individually. Just found out select all files, right click the first one rename 1 and the rest all get numbered sequentially. I suspect I,m the only person on the planet who didn't know that.
Thank Chums.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Nov 5, 2010, 2:49 PM   #5

Hi Chums,
Using A-Z instead of numbers worked great in windows dvd maker but Nero slideshow woulden't see the pics listed with letters. Boo Hoooo. not that I was botherd as Windpws dvd maker did the job but it's not very changeable or controleable. just thought I'de mention it.
Cheers Chums.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Nov 5, 2010, 8:35 PM   #6

The root problem is likely that your "numbers" are being read as ASCI values and sorted as such. That means a number like 12 is smaller than 3 since the ACSI value of 1 is less than the ASCI value of 3. Think of sorting the words "and" vs "no". "and" will come first.

One solution is to number something like 100000, 100001, 100002, ... instead of 1, 2, ...

Last edited by BillDrew; Nov 5, 2010 at 8:41 PM.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 4:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDrew View Post
The root problem is likely that your "numbers" are being read as ASCI values and sorted as such. That means a number like 12 is smaller than 3 since the ACSI value of 1 is less than the ASCI value of 3. Think of sorting the words "and" vs "no". "and" will come first.

One solution is to number something like 100000, 100001, 100002, ... instead of 1, 2, ...
Hi Bill,
Thank you for the reply. Thats interesting. At first i thought hummm bit of a pain doing those o's before the number but i,m thinking select all, rename, put the first at 10000 and then the end number will be put in by the computer. Ill give it a go. If that works it'll be great. Cheers Bill. ( ill be back)
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Nov 6, 2010, 4:38 AM   #8

Hi Bill, You are the Man.... Whhoppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Fantastico. You are Genius. It worked. Aaaaaa thats brilliant, Thanks very mucho for the info. Brilliant.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
Old Nov 6, 2010, 9:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by condorman View Post
... You are Genius. ...
Nope - just far enough into geezerhood to have seen that problem before, when we had to write our own sorting routines. Then someone else told me pretty much what I told you.

Old problems never really go away no matter how much wallpaper MicroSoft, Apple, Linux, ... put over them.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2010, 11:14 AM   #10

the background is windows used to sort ascii then some bright whiz figured out that numbers are numbers even if they are embedded in a string. so they changed. naturally this broke lots of sort routines. but if you start using leading zeroes, it works fine (as far as i've seen) and i believe this filenaming convention should sort the same in other os too.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote