Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:10 PM   #11

Very nice, with the red lights it looks a bit like mine
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:56 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Just wanted to add something I remember reading in MaximumPC regarding multi-cores...

Apparently they interviewed an engineer (can't remember if it was hardware or software engineer) who said the extra cores in multi-core CPUs will likely remain unused....
See some CS5 benchmarks here. Newer applications tend to scale quite well using processors that support more threads.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/d...CS-5,2426.html

Many video encoding applications do even better with more cores. See some video editing benchmarks here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/d...-CS5,2428.html

You'll find the same thing with many new applications now (specifically designed to take advantage of more cores).

From my perspective, it just wouldn't make any sense to buy a new PC without going at least Quad Core, since the CPU cost is usually a small percentage of the overall system cost (case, PSU, motherboard, memory, hard drives, operating system, etc.).

Some apps scale really nicely with more cores. Bibble Pro is one example.

http://bibblelabs.com/products/bibbl...res/speed.html

I've got both dual core and quad core machines, and the quad cores are noticeably faster with many apps that I use.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:21 PM   #13

The difference between AMD and Intel, Intel quad cores use 8 processors - 4 cores + 4 hyperthread cores

and show up in the device manager as 8 cores

Applications that are CUDA (GPU) enabled run a lot faster

I ran a test to transcode a section of video with just the CPU and It's 8 cores it took 1 minute

8 cores are shown working here

I ran the same test with Nvidia CUDA enabled and it took 27 secs

PS. One of my other PC's has a dual processor and shows up in the device manager as 2 processors

Last edited by musket; Jan 12, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 4:32 PM   #14
Administrator

I've always been fond of Intel CPUs and Nvidia graphics cards.

But, chances are, I'll boycott Intel going forward, thanks to their approach with Sandy Bridge.

Intel decided to include both hardware DRM and a "kill switch" that allows remote shutdown of a PC of it's using their latest Sandy bridge chipset design. Here's one article about the new kill switch "feature":

http://www.tgdaily.com/opinion-featu...te-kill-switch

This should get interesting as time passes, since as soon as hackers figure out how it works, others could probably wreak havoc with this feature.

I haven't seen any details on how this "kill switch" is supposed to function or what safeguards are built in to prevent unauthorized use. But, I sure don't want a PC that can be shut down by someone else remotely, period. Someone is bound to figure out how to exploit vulnerabilities with this design, and I don't want to be the person on the receiving end of that type of exploit.

As for it being an anti-theft feature, anyone could remove the drive and read it's contents after the PC was shut down remotely unless it the drive was encrypted (and encrypting the drive would be a much better way to go if someone was concerned about theft).

So, I probably won't be buying any more Intel CPUs as time passes, as their newest features are just a bit "over the top" from my perspective.

IOW, if buying a new PC right this second, I'd probably take the same approach that Dustin did (buy a 6 core AMD CPU), as I don't like the direction Intel is taking with their latest chipset designs (even though most of my PCs are using Intel CPUs right now).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:13 PM   #15

Not enough information on the kill switch is available as yet, so I'll leave my opinion until more is known