Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:00 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default New Computer

finally got around to building a new computer. ordered it today, hopefully will be shipped by the weekend so i can put it together.

---
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
(2x)OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200rmp/64mg cache hdd
ATI Radeon 6870 1gb
Lite-On Blu-Ray/r
Roswell 40-1 card reader
Cooler Master Storm Scout Case
Cooler Master 212+ CPU cooler
Cooler Master GX 750W PSU
Win 7 64 bit
----

The black edition 1090T is unlocked, and works together with the 890fx mobo and black edition memory for easy overclocking and syncing. i can easily push this to 4ghz if i want. probably won't push it all the way there as its not needed, maybe stick in the 3.6-3.7 range. the radeon 6870 can be pushed to 1ghz easily as well.

pretty excited.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
finally got around to building a new computer. ordered it today, hopefully will be shipped by the weekend so i can put it together.

---
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
(2x)OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200rmp/64mg cache hdd
ATI Radeon 6870 1gb
Lite-On Blu-Ray/r
Roswell 40-1 card reader
Cooler Master Storm Scout Case
Cooler Master 212+ CPU cooler
Cooler Master GX 750W PSU
Win 7 64 bit
----

The black edition 1090T is unlocked, and works together with the 890fx mobo and black edition memory for easy overclocking and syncing. i can easily push this to 4ghz if i want. probably won't push it all the way there as its not needed, maybe stick in the 3.6-3.7 range. the radeon 6870 can be pushed to 1ghz easily as well.

pretty excited.
The next best thing to a Cray, eh? heheheh Congrats!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:15 PM   #3
Super Moderator

well now you can see why I haven't been as active over the past few days. I have some pics!

paired it with a Samsung 24" 1080p 2ms response time monitor. makes a nice setup
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:19 PM   #4

Is 6 core really needed though?
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:41 PM   #5
Administrator

Congrats! That should be a really fast system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
That's tough to say for sure. I'd need approx. 3 years to thoroughly evaluate a system like that, comparing it to dual and quad core systems using a variety of software. You can't really tell that kind of thing from benchmarks (how much time it saves you over the long haul, etc.), without a lot of "real world" testing.

If he wants to ship it to me for that type of evaluation, I'll see what I can find out for you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2010, 8:16 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolpc View Post
well, the AMD 6 core is not as fast as the upper end intel quad cores. so its not just about the number of cores (but it was about 800$ cheaper). however this is the fastest AMD chip right now, especially since its black edition (unlocked) for easy overclocking. how much difference the extra cores makes depends on the coding of the program/game. some make better use than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Congrats! That should be a really fast system.

That's tough to say for sure. I'd need approx. 3 years to thoroughly evaluate a system like that, comparing it to dual and quad core systems using a variety of software. You can't really tell that kind of thing from benchmarks (how much time it saves you over the long haul, etc.), without a lot of "real world" testing.

If he wants to ship it to me for that type of evaluation, I'll see what I can find out for you.
nice try jim

right now i have it overclocked at 3.6ghz and it ran an average of 32.5 degrees C for a 1 hour stress test. i will give 3.8ghz a go tomorrow, but it should be plenty cool given that 3.6ghz only barely made it into the 30s.

i dont measure the speed in hours saved. but upping the clock by 400mhz gave me a nice 8-10fps increase in my game.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:46 AM   #7

nice case ..... i have a cosmos ..... coolermaster have some great cases i see you also future proofed yourself with the sata 6gbs and usb 3 stick a ssd hard drive in there now as a work drive you will be in awe
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:17 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
nice case ..... i have a cosmos ..... coolermaster have some great cases i see you also future proofed yourself with the sata 6gbs and usb 3 stick a ssd hard drive in there now as a work drive you will be in awe
yea, i will jump on a ssd when i get the budget, one of the concessions i made on initial build. and yea, i figured i may as well get the usb3/sata6, no use cutting that many corners when you are saving from building yourself anyway.

so far have been very happy with the performance. the rig stays very cool with the case design and my cpu cooler. i am mostly running overclocked to 3.8 and temps have stayed very cool, could easily go to 4 if i went to the bios. i also have experimented o/c the graphics card, but dont generally need it. for the money i put into it, i am happy. of course i could have dumped another half again as much for a faster i7 based system, but for price/performance ratio i am satisfied.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:53 AM   #9

What a monster computer, Dustin! Congrats!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:26 AM   #10

Nice build inside and out.

Just wanted to add something I remember reading in MaximumPC regarding multi-cores...

Apparently they interviewed an engineer (can't remember if it was hardware or software engineer) who said the extra cores in multi-core CPUs will likely remain unused. Coding for extra cores requires a lot of planning and re-designing. And software writers have been known to take the lazy approach of writing bloated code instead of lean-and-mean ones as RAM prices got cheaper and cheaper. So this engineer's prediction is software writers will continue to just sit and wait for the next gigahertz increase instead of working double-, triple-, or quadruple-time to utilize the CPU's multi-core capacities.

Still, if the extra cores are there, people will buy them. It's a small price (difference) to pay for reaping the benefits of software (re)written to use them should they arrive. Besides, rubbing multi-core specs in the face of a friend with lesser cores may prove beneficial to one's self-esteem...

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote