Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:51 PM   #11
Super Moderator

nice setup too Musket. the 950 is a good processor and the MSI makes a good mobo.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:55 AM   #12

Yes the MSI magically adjusts itself to the onboard situation, components etc

But with sandy bridge and p67 chipset mother boards it may become old hat before too long

incidently the same company state side http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/category/configurator/

you can have a go configuring/customizing one even if you never buy it

Last edited by musket; Jan 18, 2011 at 5:05 AM.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:21 AM   #13

just got a new keyboard today

it is wireless but i am just charging it up
Old Jan 22, 2011, 8:39 AM   #14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by musket View Post
...But with sandy bridge and p67 chipset mother boards it may become old hat before too long

incidently the same company state side http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/category/configurator/

you can have a go configuring/customizing one even if you never buy it
I played with their configurators some this morning (on their US site versus UK site). In the U.S., it looks like you can get a Core i7 2600K (unlocked CPU) system for about the same price as an AMD 1100T based system, and the Intel system should outperform it from benchmarks I've seen.

Here are two systems equipped about the same way with the same case (inexpensive Coolermaster HAF-912), 8GB of 1600Mhz DDR3, Asus Blu-Ray Player-CD/DVD Writer, Liquid Cooling, GTX 460SE video card (least expensive in the GTX series cards); Gigabyte MB with USB 3.0, SATA III and RAID support; a 640GB drive with 64MB of cache for the OS and Programs; a 1TB drive with 64MB of cache for working data (probably the latest SATA III WD Blacks since the specs seem to match them), an internal card reader, and 64 bit Win 7 Pro (for access to XP mode, since you don't get that feature with Win 7 Home Premium).

I used a Thermaltake Modular PSU for both (650 Watt for the Intel system, and 750 Watt for the AMD System, since they didn't have the smaller 650W PSU in the AMD configurator I used, and I wouldn't personally have a need for anything more than the 650W model). That way, I'd have better stability for OCing (since the cheaper default PSUs they offer here in the U.S. are not that good from some of the comments I've seen), and these Thermaltake models appear to have good bang for the buck. Add $14 to the Intel System for the same 750W PSU used in the AMD system (bringing it up to $1298, which is only $9 more than the AMD system). So, they're very close to the same price for a system equipped about the same.

$1284 for the Intel 2600K system
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1CYP6E

$1289 for the AMD 1100T system
http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1CYP82
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:43 AM   #15
Administrator

IOW, I don't see any price advantage with AMD, especially given the benchmarks I'm seeing for Sandy Bridge. So, it's AMD's turn to come out with newer CPUs and chipsets if they want to stay competitive (for example, the "Bulldozer" CPUs I've seen mentioned in articles about AMD's plans for 2011).
Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:45 PM   #16

The newer Z68 chipset mother boards that will be soon available will unlock more of the Sandy Bridge potential

Last edited by musket; Jan 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:30 AM   #17
Administrator

Computers are like Digital Cameras. As soon as you buy one, they'll probably release one that is faster with more features for the same or lower price. Manufacturers also tend to "leap frog" each other with newer generations. Such is technology. :-)