Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1

Default new year new build

been a few year so opted for a new build

asus p6x58
corsair xms ddr 3 6gb
samsung bluray rom
intel i7 950
ocz 120gb ssd
samsung 1tb hard drive
corsair 620 power supply
using my old graphics card to put me on
cooler master cosmos case

the rig will be used for converting bluray and editing photos roll on sunday for the build to start
Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:12 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Thats a really nice high-end setup there.

i see you went ahead and got the SSD, I plan to add one, I just didn't have the initial budget for it. look forward to testing it out when i get one.

that cosmos case is just awesome, love the cooling design on that one. that thing has enough room to upgrade for years. and when you have the budget for a new graphics card, you have plenty of room for the longer cards and a SLI setup.

post some shots when you can.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 11:28 PM   #3

i will do mate .... im just using the stock cooler and i am surprised how quite it is ..... the ssd drive as blown my mind ... i installed windows 7 64 bit (premium) and some other junk and i am left with about 90gb left (could have used it as a work drive only) but boy it is impressive i can now convert a bluray movie in half the time than when using a samsung f3
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:34 PM   #4

You both, with your new toys, are making me envy.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 9:05 AM   #5

Nice to see we have system builders here, too.

I too build my own. I started out with AMDs over ten years ago but wasn't too happy because there were almost always conflicts or incompatiblities between boards which I can't trace (between sound and video cards, for example). The only solution was to return one board and replace it with a different make or brand. (Since sound cards were cheaper, that's what I replaced.) So to eliminate aggravation I built only Intels since then (one for each member of the family).

Then just about a year ago I decided to try AMD again and was pleasantly surprised. Building AMD rigs was a breeze. No conflicts whatsoever. I'm using a quadcore AMD now and dualcore AMDs for our HTPCs (yes, we have 2 in different parts of the house to watch Netflix and BD). And they're cheap! I'm sure my quadcore is not as fast as the new Intels (I'm basing my opinion on price and not benchmarks) but it sure is faster than the old core2duo that it replaced.

Now, regarding building a Hackintosh, I understand the chances of success are better going with Intel...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:01 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
Nice to see we have system builders here, too.

I too build my own. I started out with AMDs over ten years ago but wasn't too happy because there were almost always conflicts or incompatiblities between boards which I can't trace (between sound and video cards, for example). The only solution was to return one board and replace it with a different make or brand. (Since sound cards were cheaper, that's what I replaced.) So to eliminate aggravation I built only Intels since then (one for each member of the family).

Then just about a year ago I decided to try AMD again and was pleasantly surprised. Building AMD rigs was a breeze. No conflicts whatsoever. I'm using a quadcore AMD now and dualcore AMDs for our HTPCs (yes, we have 2 in different parts of the house to watch Netflix and BD). And they're cheap! I'm sure my quadcore is not as fast as the new Intels (I'm basing my opinion on price and not benchmarks) but it sure is faster than the old core2duo that it replaced.

Now, regarding building a Hackintosh, I understand the chances of success are better going with Intel...
Those quad AMD's are nice, I almost went with the 965BE instead of my 1090TBE since it can reach similar speeds overclocking and the 2 extra cores is usually not needed. But i got such a good price on the combo of the 1090T and the 890FXUD5 mobo that there was no reason to not just get the 6core.

but yea, as for the Hackintosh, the only reasonable chance you have to actually get the thing to work is using an intel based system. i looked into it briefly las week just for the heck of it. but it seemed to require a very specific set of hardware and then the chance of something failing seemed way to high to me to be worth the risk.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:32 AM   #7

When I built mine I remember I was just reading about the six-core AMDs. They were just a few months away to being sold. I would have dropped in a six-code too if it was available.

Yes, I get the same impression to "the chance of something failing". So I guess as long as, say, I meant to build one purely for photo-editing and not, say, listening to music or watching video or connecting to the Internet (if none of those get to work), then I would have called the project worthwhile.

Still, I'm very curious about it. (I understand Apple doesn't care as long as you purchase OSX legally...) If only to scratch my "what-next?" itch...
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:37 AM   #8
Super Moderator

i think i saw somewhere there was a guide to try it out for bout 700$ bucks. if the apple OS didn't work out for whatever reason, you'd have another nice intel based win7 machine at the very least and only be out the cost of OSX
Old Jan 7, 2011, 3:46 PM   #9

I think I saw one too but for $800. But when I looked at other specs that some people had success, the price should be considerably less. If I remember right the $800 config I saw had really good (and pricey) motherboard and higher-end Intel processor. One motherboard I saw listed in another website as "super-friendly" (I can't remember the exact term the poster used) to OSX was only $49 at the 'egg. I think it wouldn't matter whether high-end or low-end processor is used as long as it's an Intel proc. Some even had success on Atom-based netbooks. But all this is speculation as I haven't really tried. All I'm saying I guess is the price could be a lot less.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 11:12 AM   #10

Talking

Sounds good, I got one as well just prior to Christmas

I used the configurator @ http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/category/configurator
I had it built for me

Intel X58 Configurator (NO MONITOR)
INFI7DDR3Z, http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.ukhtt..._Configurator/
•CABLE: None
•CAS: Thermaltake Element-T Mid-Tower Case (Please choose your choice of Neon light in the Lights and Illumination section below to have colour light effect on the side panel) [+15] (Original Color)
•CASUPGRADE: NONE
•CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE (BLACK COLOR)
•CD2: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE [+11] (BLACK COLOR)
•CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1366 ***Overclockable S&S***
•CS_FAN: Maximum Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+10]
•DONGLES: NONE
•EXPAN: NONE
•FA_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System [+18] (1 x System)
•FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System For Intel LGA1366(Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)***Overclockable XXX***
•FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 52in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer [+10] (BLACK COLOR [-5])
•FLOPPY: NONE
•FREEBIE_HD: None
•FREEBIE_NVVC: None
•HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MBCache 7200RPM Hard Drive [+37] (Single Hard Drive)
•HDD2: NONE
•HOMEINSTALL: NONE
•IEEE_CARD: NONE
•KEYBOARD: NONE
•MEMORY: 6GB (3x2GB) PC12800 DDR3/1600mhz Triple Channel Memory [+52] (Corsair Value Select or Major Brand)
•MODEM: NONE
•MONITOR: NONE
•MONITOR2: NONE
•MONITOR3: NONE
•MOTHERBOARD: MSI X58 PRO-E .x58 chipset 3way/SLI crossfire X Dr Mos
•MOUSE: NONE
•OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium [+74] (64-bit Edition)
•OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
•POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts Power Supplies [+4] (CyberPowerPC 600W Quiet Power Supply *** Not Recommended for Overclocking***)
•PRO_WIRING1: CoolerMaster Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation [+9]
•PRO_WIRING2: Professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chasis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]
•RUSH: Fast Track Service !!! Ready to Ship in 5 Business Days with no Overclocking Service [+25]
•SOFT1: McAfee AntiVirus Plus 2011 OEM [+7]
•SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
•SPEAKERS: NONE
•TEMP: NONE
•TVRC: NONE
•UPS: None
•USBHD: NONE
•VC_PHYSX: None
•VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB 16X PCI Express [+41] (Major Brand Power by NVIDIA)
•VIDEO2: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics
•VIDEO3: None, or On-Board Integrated Graphics
•WAP: NONE
•WARRANTY: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
•WEBCAM: NONE
•WNC: NONE

Last edited by musket; Jan 9, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
musket is offline   Reply With Quote