Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old May 11, 2011, 10:33 AM   #41

Here is a USB port cleaner, but after use you really should protect the now vulnerable cleaned surface with DEOXIT which comes in either spray or brush on (ie, brush in bottle).

http://www.gizmodiva.com/home_gadget...tle_device.php
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 11:07 AM   #42

I looked at the Deoxit website. There appear to be several varieties - which should I use? Remember than anything I get I have to import specially, and pay (probably) monstrous import duties.
Old May 11, 2011, 1:46 PM   #43

I have not used the "bottle with brush" only the spray as that is most commonly available. For your purpose I think that the bottle & brush would be easier to control the application (eg, amount applied).

http://www.all-spec.com/products/D100L-2DB.html

Just have a friend, relative or one of your brother's business associates who goes on travel pick up a couple containers when they are out of Belize and bring some back or even a visiting friend/relative can just pick up some at the local Fry's Electronics and bring it with them for you. Normally a container lasts a long long time as you should only need at most a drop of application per week (or once every couple weeks).
Old May 12, 2011, 1:21 PM   #44

So you know I have been off for a time all cuase of not just a camera that is down but cause of a virus on the computer...Thanks the good lord and the ones whom made storage's I had been down loading to the storage all my shots... I have a Seagate that I got a couple years ago and well to say the good news is that when the computer went out all my work was safe.... I say buy a Seagate and use it ... it pays fo r its self.. I can undo it and move it to the other computer when I wish or take it on the trip to where ever to share...one can go in and gather what they wish to move over to a smaller portable drive memory device as they need as well.... it was well worth my investment....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 1:41 PM   #45

If you get a virus on your computer beware of letting it spread onto your external hard drive. If you've now cleaned your computer I suggest you do a full scan of the external HD.
Old May 12, 2011, 1:49 PM   #46

sdromel - I seem to need two products. One to clean the already corroded surfaces and restore them to (at least) full conductivity, and the other to protect that new surface. http://www.all-spec.com/products/D100L-2DB.html seems to be the Caig product for the first role (though http://www.all-spec.com/products/Cleaners_and_Aerosols|Electronics_Chemicals|CLN-00/D100L-2DB.html is the brush-on variety which I'll probably get). Caig also make a product for the second role http://www.all-spec.com/products/Cleaners_and_Aerosols|Electronics_Chemicals|CLN-16/S100L-2DB.html but that seems to be available only in batches of 12. The aerosol http://www.all-spec.com/products/Cleaners_and_Aerosols|Electronics_Chemicals|CLN-16/S5S-6.html isn't so restricted, though less convenient for me.

The little plug-in device you referred me to seems also quite good. I wonder how it compares with the standard DEoxIT cleaning solution?

Last edited by peterbj7; May 12, 2011 at 1:52 PM.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2011, 3:41 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
The little plug-in device you referred me to seems also quite good. I wonder how it compares with the standard DEoxIT cleaning solution?

You probably need both, but use the plug-in cleaning device only as needed. Immediately after that apply DEOXIT to coat & protect USB contacts. Dont get too carried away with the cleaning device as connectors are supposed to have a protective plating to minimize corrosion and Im not sure how rough the cleaning brush is on the nternal USB's contact plating.
Old May 12, 2011, 8:37 PM   #48

The USB contacts on both my laptop and desktop machine are gold plated. Gold isn't prone to corrosion. You may be getting deposits which could interfere with connectivity.
Alcohol or a spray-type contact cleaner should be all that is needed to clean it. Once you start with an abrasive cleaner, you remove the plating, and the base metal will corrode. Cheap cables may not use gold plating, but good quality ones do.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2011, 12:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
The USB contacts on both my laptop and desktop machine are gold plated. Gold isn't prone to corrosion. You may be getting deposits which could interfere with connectivity.
Regular use of such connectors is likely to wear away thin plating at the actual contact points. I have found DEOXIT to be one of the longest lasting metal protectants.
  • Acts as a unique contact cleaner, rejuvenator, conductivity enhancer, and lubricant
  • Dissolves oxidation and corrosion on metal surfaces
  • Fills in microscopic gaps and reseals surface for better contact to improve flow of electricity
  • Reduces intermittent connections, arcing, wear, and abrasion
And even if deposits or corrosion is involved, then (since the units are claimed to be fixed in place) just use an external 1 foot USB cable permanently plugged into the PC's USB port and use the cable end to plug in USB appliances. (You can even seal the cable to PC connection non-permanently using removable stick caulk.) When or if the cable goes bad just replace the cable (gotta be a lot cheaper & more convienient). In any event the DEOXIT should be used.

It seems to me that it behooves anyone with such a big deal IT investment program ongoing to pull some bad USB connectors apart and use an ohm meter to determine what the hell is going on so a "get well" procedure can be initiated.

Last edited by sdromel; May 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM. Reason: Add Info