Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Mar 5, 2011, 6:48 PM   #1

Default Maximum Ram in HP a1130n

My HP a1130n computer has four RAM slots. Recently, after reading the computer's specs & seeing that its maximum RAM was 4 gb I installed 4 Ram sticks, each rated at 1gb.

But when I check the amount of Ram by clicking on Computer Properties it registers only 3,340,784Kb.

So I removed one of the sticks and replaced it with a 512mb stick. The amount of RAM, according to Windows, was still 3,340,784kb.

So I removed the 512mb stick and inserted a 256mb one. The computer still displays the same amount of RAM - 3,340,784kb.

On the other hand, when only 3 sticks of 1gb each are in place, the computer displays the total Ram as 3,078,640kb.

I've tried moving the various sticks into different slots but I still get the same results.

So what's going on? Are the specs inaccurate and is the maximum actually 3,340,784kb?

Or is it because I'm running Windows 2000? Would I get the whole 4gb if I switched to Windows XP? Or maybe to Windows 7?

Not that it bothers me much - the computer's generally quite fast enough for me, though a few days ago when I was tinkering with Photomatix, & tried to save its latest result, a message appeared on the screen saying that it couldn't be saved "because there was not enough RAM".

Has anybody had an experience like this or does anybody know the answer?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2011, 7:15 PM   #2

I seem to recall that the 32bit OS had a 3GB (or thereabouts) limitation on RAM. The Windows website for win7 has a comparison page which shows the limits of the various versions of both 7 and older windows OS.
I think you can go larger with win7 32bit, and certainly with any of the 64bit OS.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2011, 5:58 PM   #3

Thanks, VT. I guess older programs (& computers) were often designed that way - e.g., I just picked up an old PowerMac G4 - & I've discovered that it doesn't recognise 1gb Ram sticks at all!
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:53 PM   #4

WINXP 32bit limits addressing to about 3.5GB (RAM) and out of that comes any memory required by onboard (ie, built in) graphics processor. So if your GPU is spec'ed for 256mb, then that comes out of the available 3.5GB. (Also, there is some overhead too that comes out of the available RAM.)
======================
Attached Images

Last edited by sdromel; Mar 10, 2011 at 5:15 AM.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Thanks, VT. I guess older programs (& computers) were often designed that way - e.g., I just picked up an old PowerMac G4 - & I've discovered that it doesn't recognise 1gb Ram sticks at all!
In some cases, you can update the M/B firmware, or so they claim. My older XP box is limited to 1GB, and I am able to use 1GB ram in either or both slots, but it only registers 1GB, and the f/w is as up to date as can be.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote