Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Mar 17, 2011, 1:51 AM   #1

Default corrupted image recovery

Hello,

Not sure of the right place to post this. Seems like there ought to be a place in the software bucket for backup/recovery. Anybody on this forum should have those things in mind, maybe they deserve their own headings.

As you might guess, I have a couple folders on my PC with corrupted jpegs in them. The files have normal looking numbers of bytes and despite being taken with the same camera as everything else, these will not display in any viewer.

I have had corrupted photos in the past, and I remember finding some free utility that I pointed at the corrupt photos and all was well.

Nowadays, I'm having a hard time. First, it seems that most programs are designed to recover data off memory cards, but that isn't my particular problem.

Second, the three programs I have tried, photorec/testdisk, StellarPhotoRecovery, ZAR, all want to spend 12 hours poring over my massive hard drive looking for corrupted photos, which makes me crazy. I want to grab the program and tell it, 'no, look right here... I know where the corrupt photos are.'

Anybody know a good recovery utility where you can indicate where the problem files are? If not, out of the three above, can you recommend one? Or something I haven't tried?

Thanks!
incircuitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:27 PM   #2

Can you move your corrupted images to say a memory stick, and tell whatever program you use to look at the memory stick only?

I've never used a corrupted file recovery utility, only deleted file recovery program called "Photo recovery"

Last edited by Square one; Mar 17, 2011 at 7:43 PM. Reason: To remove confusion
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 5:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Square one View Post
Can you move your corrupted images to say a memory stick, and tell whatever program you use to look at the memory stick only?

Never used a corrupted file recovery utility, only deleted file recovery program called "Photo recovery"
That's a good idea about the memory stick.

Last edited by incircuitous; Mar 17, 2011 at 5:52 PM. Reason: misread "Never used..." as a warning to "Never use... "
incircuitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2011, 7:41 PM   #4

Sorry for confusing you, edited to remove confusing meaning

Last edited by Square one; Mar 17, 2011 at 7:44 PM.
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2011, 3:12 PM   #5

I have used PC Inspector, but only to recover files from memory cards. IIRC, you can specify folders, though.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 3:34 AM   #6

try data rescue pc version or staller, another good software is testdisk.
jimbay is offline   Reply With Quote