Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Mac problem

I've been a Windows man all my life. Although I hate major aspects of it, I like the flexibility and versatility it gives me. Nonetheless, i recently bought a MacBook pro, the very latest "Thunderbolt" version, 13". I am having a lot of trouble getting to grips with it, but that's just a severe learning curve not helped by the total absence of a written manual.

But I'm now trying to tailor it to my personal preferences, and it's struck me that the display as delivered is absolutely appalling. Severely unbalanced colours, with contrast & brilliance dreadful. Yet in the adjustment panel all sliders are in the middle "neutral" position. Is it normal for these machines to be delivered way off acceptable settings, or might I have a bad one? I have never had a Windows machine that needed more than the slightest tweaking out of the box.
Old Apr 24, 2011, 9:56 AM   #2
Administrator

From what I can see from reviews, it's using a TN Panel. So, you can expect color shifts with viewing angle. Some sites also indicate that it's best to use it in a darker room due to significant reflections.

But, it shouldn't be any worse than most other laptops (most other laptops are going to use TN versus IPS panels, too) and it's contrast ratio and color accuracy appears to be pretty good by default. See this brief article about it's display (they seemed to think it was better than average for a laptop display):

http://www.digitalversus.com/macbook...ews-18354.html

More here (rated as a 3 stars on a scale of 1 to 5 for displays, but that's going to be typical for a TN panel in a laptop).

http://www.digitalversus.com/apple-m..._10701_71.html

I'd make sure you're not viewing it at an angle (as it's using a TN panel type that is prone to color shifts with viewing angle, as most laptop displays are). For that matter, most desktop displays are TN panel types, too (but, they're really not very good for photography purposes). I'd also make sure that you don't have too much room lighting reflecting from it's screen.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 10:05 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

You may want to go through some of the screens on this site. It could be that you're not accustomed to a properly calibrated display (as it does appear to calibrated well by default from what I can see in reviews).

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

IOW, you may be used to a monitor that's got way too much contrast, saturation, etc. (which can add "punch", but not let you see more subtle changes in contrast and color).

I find that to be the case pretty often when viewing friend's displays (they have settings like contrast, brightness turned up *way* too high, making it difficult to judge image quality when trying to use them.

It may also be that it automatically dims it's display when running on Battery versus AC. That Power Management behavior is very common with most operating systems. I'm not an Apple user. So, perhaps some of our members with them will chime in with more suggestions.

But, I see no evidence that it's display is any worse that you'd get with most laptops from reading reviews of the latest 13.3" Macbook Pro. So, your findings don't seem to match up with reviews, unless you're comparing it's display to a better desktop display versus a typical laptop display.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 11:40 AM   #4

No, I'm not talking about a marginal discrepancy from normal. The display is absolutely hideous. Showing the same image on that and on my old Toshiba laptop (whose display i have never calibrated) there is not the remotest comparison. It's as if red intensity is at or even beyond its maximum and contrast is similar. All whites are blown out. Viewing angle has nothing to do with it. Yet when I try to calibrate it I seem to get nowhere, and I've now tried 5 or 6 times. They don't have simple controls to change individual aspects of the display as I'm used to on Windows, you have to go through a set routine of calibration exercises which don't seem to have any effect on the parts which are dreadful. It's a new machine and I wonder if it's faulty. The trouble is I bought it in the US and I'm now in Belize, and it is literally impossible (for reasons I won't go into) to ship it back and receive a replacement. It's a nightmare.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:38 AM   #5

Hi:

Your posts are short on specifics. Presume you are running OS X 10.6.6 or 10.6.7, right? You have gone to System Preferences>Displays and selected the Color tab and selected (clicked on) the "Color LCD" entry and then clicked on the Calibrate... button. Sounds like you should click the check box for Expert mode. See attachment. Take your time and work through the wizard and make sure you save and USE the calibrated settings.

If you find the calibrated settings unacceptable, you should contact Apple support.

Craig
BTW, given that the display is reflective, where you use it can have a big influence on how you perceive the images!
Attached Images

PvrFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 9:49 AM   #6

Sorry, I haven't gone into depth on what I've done. I have gone right through the calibration process you describe, several times, and have come nowhere near an acceptable result. I am indeed about to contact Apple, though I am irritated to see that they expect this to be by phone rather than email. Easier for them because there's no record and it's not accountable, vastly more expensive for me and if my previous telephone "help" experiences are anything to go by, not likely to be useful.

I also presume I'm using one of those operating systems. I don't know how to find which.