Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old May 31, 2011, 11:24 AM   #1

Default Thoughts on FireFox 4??

So, I upgraded to FF4, and so far I honestly miss 3.xx

I switched because my 3.xx install was running dog slow for some unknown reason.

Things I don't like:
  • The home and refresh button placement
  • File, Edit, etc. are all missing from the top left (I guess I'm old school)
Things I do like:
  • It seems faster than its predecessor
  • The new layout seems to free up some real estate for the actual pages you are browsing.
Would love to hear thoughts from other FF users. I've always believed, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." Maybe I'm just against change sometimes
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2011, 2:57 PM   #2

My advice get chrome is is so much nicer than FF
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 3:02 PM   #3
Administrator

It's pretty easy to make it look like FF 3.x

If you "right click" in the tiny area underneath your adddress bar, then click on "Customize", you can drag and drop the Home icon someplace else (to the left of the address bar, etc.). Just ignore the screen that comes up when you select Customize, then drag and drop the Home button where you want it to be. Ditto for the refresh button (drag it to the left of the address bar if desired).

Then, change the rest the way you want it to look (tabs on top, file menu toolbar visible, etc.) It only takes a few seconds. Just use the View command (right click on the top area and you'll see it) and make the Menu Toolbar and Bookmark Toolbars visible (put check boxes beside those toolbars); then uncheck the Tabs on Top and you'll be all set except for the bottom status bar (and there's a plugin to fix that).

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...status-4-evar/

Then (after you make the menu and bookmark toolbars visible, uncheck tabs on top and move the home and refresh icons to the left of the address bar), it will look and work just like FF 3.x except for the bottom status bar (and you can use the above addon to get that).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 3:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
My advice get chrome is is so much nicer than FF
I have Chrome too, which I use at times. FF is better for work purposes though, seems to integrate with our content manager better than Chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It's pretty easy to make it look like FF 3.x

If you "right click" in the tiny area underneath your adddress bar, then click on "Customize", you can drag and drop the Home icon someplace else (to the left of the address bar, etc.). Just ignore the screen that comes up when you select Customize, then drag and drop the Home button where you want it to be.

Then, change the rest the way you want it to look (tabs on top, file menu toolbar visible, etc.) It only takes a few seconds. Just use the View command (right click on the top area and you'll see it) and make the Menu Toolbar and Bookmark Toolbars visible (put check boxes beside those toolbars); then uncheck the Tabs on Top and you'll be all set except for the bottom status bar (and there's a plugin to fix that).

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/fir...status-4-evar/

Then (after you make the menu and bookmark toolbars visible, uncheck tabs on top and move the home icon to the left of the address bar), it will look and work just like FF 3.x except for the botton status bar (and you can use the above addon to get that).
Thanks Jim. As usual, you are the man!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2011, 3:16 PM   #5
Administrator

IOW, you're just seeing a newer default setup (no menu bar visible, different location for some icons, tabs on top instead of under everything else).

But, it's pretty easy to make it look just like the default look you got with FF 3.x.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote