Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:59 PM   #1

Talking New freeware program to inspire your photography.

Hello everyone,

I've written some software which can help you think of new ideas for your photography. The software works on Windows, MacOS and Linux.

When you run it, words & phrases float across the screen, mixing and overlapping. Lean back and watch until a combination of ideas appears that gives you inspiration...

The 'photography inspiration' wordlist is built-in, just choose it in the 'words' menu.

Free download here -> http://mindsnow.com/

I think this will be particularly useful for anyone who is on a '1-a-day' personal quest to try new themes & challenges in photography and needs some ideas [or anyone seeking thought-provoking themes for a local photography club competition.]

Hope you find it useful as I do

Regards

Graeme.

http://mindsnow.com/

p.s. It's totally freeware, and not a trial or demo.
Mindsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:18 AM   #2
Administrator

Graeme.

Your post was flagged by our Spam filter for moderation, and I also see that you've just joined multiple forums with your first posts on them promoting this software, and I even noticed that on another forum I frequent.

I approved this post, since it does look interesting. I just tested it under Linux after running it through multiple virus scan engines first:

http://www.virustotal.com/file-scan/...65c-1321100224

But, for future reference, when members join forums just to promote a product, a lot of sites are going to consider that to be spam, free product or not, and I had to give it some thought before approving it (and that could have went either way). Also, when a brand new member posts links to software, that raises red flags, since that's a common way to spread malware.

So, I'd advise you not to promote it by joining forums and posting links to it. Otherwise, you may find that your e-mail address and/or IP Address ends up being black listed by forums using centralized anti-spam services, and some sites may automatically filter links to your web site going forward when that happens, too (no matter the user posting the links); as free or not, you're still using forums to advertise it, and most sites will frown upon that (especially when a member joins forums for the sole purpose of promoting their site or products).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:27 PM   #3

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your feedback and for approving the post.

Usually when I think of spam, I think of unsolicited advertising for commercial products rather than freeware that directly supports particular hobbies, and when I think of spam I think of millions of untargeted messages, rather than the five or six messages I've put on the internet in appropriate forums.

I announced this program on the two largest photography sites I know of (this site & Dpreview - PC&Mac forum since it's a PC program and a Mac program), one Mac forum a few weeks back, and one craft forum in the UK (since Mindsnow also has an 'arts and crafts' mode as well as a 'photography' mode). I don't feel that's too excessive, and I agree putting it everywhere would be a bit much!

As a general point for reflection... In principle, I'm not sure why it matters that this is a free piece of software, rather than any other type of freely exchangeable idea or technique that can be used to help with photography. If someone had a really cool new technique for keeping lenses clean, and crossposted it here and Dpreview as their first post, would an admin intervene to discourage them from telling others about it? If not, why is a free computer-based technique to help with photography different?

(Though in saying that, I accept your point about people spreading malware.)

Anyway, thanks for approving the post, and thanks doubly for providing a 3rd party 'virus check' to confirm the software is not malicious.

Best regards

Graeme

p.s. To introduce myself: I've read SD and DPReview for many, many years but haven't posted on the forums before. I'm a Fuji F30/F200/W3 enthusiast; I have 12 years of digital camera experience starting with the 1998 Fuji DX8 & 1999 Kodak DC240+280. My first digital photogallery was put online back around 1995 (and it's still online*, after nearly 17 years! :-) ). Back then it was a bit more of a pain to do digital work with photographs... hi-res scanning of each picture from film took minutes, and even saving files as a JPEG took 15-20 seconds!

* http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/gbell/ (virtualbirks.graemebell.net)

Last edited by Mindsnow; Nov 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 6:58 PM   #4
Administrator

One of the things I often do when I see a new poster promoting something (even if it's free) is search for other posts promoting the same product. In your case, I actually noticed the posts you made over on dpreview.com before any searches, then I noticed the post here, and then found the post on a Mac forum about it when I searched using google.

That behavior pattern is typical of someone wanting to advertise a product for commercial gain (joining multiple forums with their first posts promoting a product).

Sometimes it's to increase traffic to their web site so that they can get advertising revenue from it, and sometimes it's to solicit donations for it. Sometimes when you see free software, it's followed up by commercial products, too.

So, yes, when I see someone joining multiple forums for the first time and posting about new software, it's arouses suspicions that there is a commercial motive involved.

In your case, I didn't see any evidence that was your intent, even though that pattern "fits the profile". So, I approved your post.

But, I'd be careful about using that technique to spread the word about your software, as mentioned in my last post; because not all forum moderators and administrators are going to look at it that closely when they see that posting pattern, and may just assume that it's spam. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2011, 7:03 PM   #5

Fair enough. :-)