Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Feb 6, 2012, 12:20 PM   #1

Default Laptops

My question is what would be a good laptop to purchase to download pictures to when out and away from home base for extended periods of time.
emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:22 PM   #2

Would it be purely for storing photos until you can transfer them to your home computer? If so, then I'd just start at the end of the spectrum of cheapest price from a name brand model. You won't need a great processor, vid card, excessive memory, or a large screen. Maybe look towards longer battery life since it's main purpose is portability?
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2012, 2:49 PM   #3

I have a Toshiba Satelite with an intel celeron processor and it has 2G of ram now. The battery life on this unit is not all that bad and has been useful for storage of data till I got it home. I was thinking about the possibility of another unit that I could load up Photoshop and Lightroom as my home unit has that would allow me to process out on the road when I am away from home for extended periods of time.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:29 PM   #4

The big problem with laptops for photo work, to my way of thinking, is that the screens are really not suitable for photo editing, due to variable lighting conditions, and lack of easy calibration. You would likely find large color differences between it and your desktop machine.
If I were going to edit on my laptop, I would want at least a dual core processor and 8GB ram, with a 250GB or larger HDD. Would not expect good battery run time when using processor intensive programs such as photo editors.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:16 PM   #5

I tend to agree VT, it was hopeful thinking on my part. I was thinking about portability, so it looks like Ill have to outfit the trailer with a new PC.