Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Feb 12, 2012, 1:25 PM   #1

Default Windows 8 developer preview

Has anyone else tried out a Developer Preview of Windows 8? I've just tried the 32-bit version (on an old HP 514n) and it seems quite intriguing.

W8 isn't as fast as I'd like, and it sometimes keeps freezes up. but that may be because the old HP 514n is getting obsolete. At times things pop up momentarily on the screen after I move the mouse cursor & then disappear. Sometimes Windows Explorer takes a long time to display (or even refuses altogether) to display files or file contents. Maybe all this is because it's only a preview version or just that the HP 514n can't cope?

On the other hand I loaded Firefox and Thunderbird and Faststone Image Viewer in without any problem.

One odd phenomena was that at first I couldn't shut the computer down. Then I discovered that I could do it if I logged off first.

One disappointment with Windows 8 is that it has too many bells and whistles for my liking. However, I discovered that W8 lets me uninstall them.

An even bigger one is that W8 doesn't have a suitable driver for my HPw2007 wide screen monitor, nor can I find one elsewhere. Curiously though, it displays the monitor in use as being the HPw2007. Even more curiously it continues to display the monitor as an HP w2007 even after I've disconnected it and substituted my Acer AL1916.

For me I think that the bottom line is that I hope Microsoft will market a very basic version of W8 - without a whole lot of unnecessary frills.

What do other folk think?

PS. Since writing all that, I've tried to test this Windows 8 trial version by installing it on my other computer - an HP a1130n. No way can I get it to install. I've tried it with 3 different hard drives. I've tried creating new partitions on them first. I've tried connecting them after deleting all their partitions. I've tried after formatting them to Fat32. I've tried formatting them to NTFS. Nothing works. I wonder why not. Any ideas?

Last edited by Herb; Feb 13, 2012 at 9:27 PM. Reason: Update & clarification
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:07 AM   #2

hi Herb
ive not tried w8 but im expecting it to be bloated and slow, microsoft has a history of releasing a very good OS and then a very bad one, win95 good, win98 not so good, win 98se very good, win me terrible, win xp amazing, win vista bloated pile of rubbish, and win 7 easily the best yet, i think they rush out a temp OS while working on the proper one lol
ive always said the one thing id like to see with windows is when its first installed you get the option to pick your level, ie new user - expert levels, and if you pick expert it turns off all rubbish and gives you a clean fast OS and if you pick new user you get all help and warnings everytime you try to do anything.
i know you can turn most of this stuff off manualy but its such a pain after a fresh install.
reguarding the install, have you tried setting your bios to default? other than that id say its probly just a bug to do with it being a beta and you should report it to them.
Dave
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:11 AM   #3
Administrator

A new public preview release of Win 8 will be announced on February 29th. So, it will probably have more of the planned features (new file systems, configuration options, etc.). IOW, I'd wait for the February 29th download before forming too many opinions based on the earlier developer preview.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2012, 7:14 PM   #4

Kazuya - Yes I tried setting the BIOS to default too, but no joy. I do very much agree with you that Windows 7 is the best yet. Until I installed W7 I had endless trouble finding & installing a driver for my DVD writer (it turned me right off NERO products) but Windows 7 has made burning a DVD from an iso file simplicity itself.

JimC - I look forward to Feb 29th! But it's going to take a lot to persuade me to abandon Windows 7. So long as I can also run Faststone image viewer and Photoshop Elements 2, I shall remain satisfied. Incidentally I've discovered that my latest version of Faststone includes a 'save' function that operates just as conveniently as the JpegOptimiser program that I've used for many years. (Maybe earlier Faststone versions included it but I hadn't noticed).
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:04 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
I do very much agree with you that Windows 7 is the best yet.
I don't know about that. ;-)

I rarely use Windows for anything, except for using IE (rarely) to check out reports of problems with the forums using it, and to test camera manufacturers' software from time to time.

Even though I've got more than one computer with Win 7 installed on it, I also keep Linux distros on them in multi-boot configs, and anymore, I probably use Linux more than 99% of the time (I try not to use Windows anymore than absolutely necessary -- usually only booting into for a short amount of time every couple of weeks, just long enough to install any Operating System updates, Browser and Plugin updates, Antivirus Updates, etc., to keep it relatively current).

I think Win 7 is an improvement compared to previous versions, as Microsoft has started incorporating a better model to help out with security in newer OS versions. But, despite the precautions I take to help keep out the "nasties" (running under a Standard User Account without Admin permissions, running multiple products to keep out malware like Avira Antivir Premium, Threatfire, M86 Security Add-on for Firefox, Comodo Firewall and Secure DNS, etc.); Windows is just too much of a target for malware; and I don't want to risk running Windows anymore than necessary since I need to log into the forums here with Admin permissions, and I don't want to risk compromising the site's security by using an Operating System with a big bulls eye target on it (as backdoors, keyloggers, etc, may not be noticed until too late).

Keep in mind that none of the Antivirus products detect much more than around 60% of previously unknown malware, because they just don't know what to look for yet. See this test for an example of how they compare in that area (and keep in mind that some of the AV vendors are now seeing more than 60,000 new and unique malware samples per day).

http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...ro_nov2011.pdf

They do better with malware that has already been discovered and added to their definitions.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/image...od_aug2011.pdf

But, by then (by the time malware has been documented and added to AV vendor's definition files), it may be too late (since once you're infected, a lot of malware can hide from scanners). So, the brand new (previously unknown) malware is what concerns me the most.

Even though I use extra layers of protection in addition to Avira Antivir Premium (behavior analysis with products like Threatfire, stronger intrusion protection using a product like Comodo Firewall, DNS servers that use real time updates with blacklists of sites found to host malware, etc.), it can take a while before sophisticated malware is discovered and detectable; and privilege escalation vulnerabilities are found on a regular basis, too (so even running under a Standard User Account without Admin permissions doesn't guarantee you're not vulnerable). Of course, no operating system is perfect. But, since Windows is such a big target for malware writers (since it's used by more people), I try avoid using it as much as possible.

Besides, I've found that Linux is easier to use and maintain over time, and I have applications that do everything I need using it. I'm also used to some of the features I get with modern Linux distributions, as even the little things that Windows doesn't offer can help make using a computer more pleasurable (multiple virtual desktops, highlighting text and pasting it into something else with a middle mouse click, etc.). I also like the way many modern Linux distros handle scaling of content better than Windows using higher resolution displays, whereas with Windows, it can be very irritating trying to get desktop, app and browser fonts to look consistent, despite tweaking lots of settings for dpi, browser zoom settings, etc..

IOW, I see no good reason to use Windows, and many downsides to it. But, I do keep it installed for test purposes so that I can check out reported problems with IE, and test camera manufacturers software that requires it.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:40 PM   #6

JimC -

When I said I thought Windows 7 was 'the best yet' I meant that I thought it was the best version yet of Windows - not the best O/S of all.

My respect for Linux is increasing. I have an older Gigabyte computer lying around that has an ethernet connector that's integrated into the motherboard. It's an Intel product, (Intel PRO/199 VE) but I've only once been able to get it to work with Windows - and I can't remember how I did it. Intel seems to have all sorts of drivers but even the most promising-sounding don't work. Maybe I've missed something. Maybe somebody has some ideas to account for this phenomenon?

Today, for curiosity, I installed Ubuntu 11.10 on on the Gigabyte computer. The ethernet connector worked immediately - in fact I'm using the Gigabyte machine to type & send this response.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:01 PM   #7

Herb,

With your computer that you only got windows to work on it once, you might want to try this tool after windows is installed
http://www.hwinfo.com/files/hw32_393.zip

It's a hardware detector that gives you the name and version of every device installed that way you should be able to find all drivers without issue.

I use this tool at work all the time when customer's do not bring me restore media and i have to use a generic windows disc for the install

-Travis-
Staples Resident EasyTech

P.S. You are going to want to copy and paste the link into your browsers address bar and hit enter, their server does not allow hotlinking from other webpages
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2012, 1:06 PM   #8

Travis -

Thanks for the reference to the device detecting tool. I'm going to download it. I've tried what sounds like a similar program called Everest that's been very useful several times.

However, on the matter of the ethernet connector that's integrated into the motherboard of my Gigabyte computer & that I couldn't get to work with Windows I've just discovered that it was all my own fault.

I was rooting round in a box of old discs and discovered one labelled 'Motherboard Utilities CD'. It turned out to belong with the Gigabyte computer. It installs everything that's needed to make every component in the motherboard - including the ethernet component - work properly. As the rude younger members of my family often say......"duh-uh"!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:47 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
A new public preview release of Win 8 will be announced on February 29th. So, it will probably have more of the planned features (new file systems, configuration options, etc.). IOW, I'd wait for the February 29th download before forming too many opinions based on the earlier developer preview.
The new Public Preview of Windows 8 is available for download now. You can get the .iso images here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Or, if you'd prefer to use Microsoft's setup utilities to create installation media, go here instead:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/download

I'm downloading both 32 bit and 64 bit .iso images for the new Win 8 Preview Release now. If/when I get a chance, I may try them in VirtualBox
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
...I'm downloading both 32 bit and 64 bit .iso images for the new Win 8 Preview Release now. If/when I get a chance, I may try them in VirtualBox
Installed now (running in VirtualBox using Linux as the host OS).

First impressions....Win 8 is incredibility unintuitive.

If Microsoft thinks Vista was a "flop", my predication is that they haven't seen anything yet if they plan on shipping Win 8 using Metro as the default User Interface for desktop users. My suggestion would be to enable the old Windows Desktop Interface and Start Menu by default. Ditto for application menus and "look and feel".

Note that I think you can get rid of Metro with some registry hacks. Here's one article on the subject:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-8-metro.html

But, I haven't done that yet, and I wouldn't expect typical desktop users to want to hack their registry just to get a more practical user interface either.

IOW, my first impression of Metro is that it really stinks. I sure wouldn't want to use it on my desktop. But, to each their own.