Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old May 21, 2012, 6:35 AM   #31
Administrator

It looks like it's supposed to have Wine, Winetricks and Play on Linux installed from what I can see of that video review of the last version of it.

You can install those yourself in any Linux distro if you decide you like a different one more. It only takes a few minutes to install those packages, as both Wine and Play On Linux have precompiled versions that all you need to do is download and click on to install, and Winetricks is only a script. Just use the links I posted to their downloads in my previous post.

But again, I'd suggest test driving some of the Image Viewers and Editors with Linux versions that I mentioned in my last post, too. That way, you don't even need to worry about having Wine installed.

Linux is only the underlying kernel, and there are many different linux distros around with a variety of different "looks and feels", preinstalled software, etc.

But, most any of them are easy to customize to taste, and let you easily install software that lets them serve your needs best.

If you like that one, great. I haven't tried Luninux yet, as I tend to stick with KDE based distros for personal use.

But it's Mac OS X inspired UI approach does look interesting and it looks like it has a good variety of useful software already installed from what I can tell of the video review of the last version that I linked to. So, I may test drive the final release of Luninux 12 whenever it's finished, as it may make a good distro to recommend to new Linux users from what I can tell of that review, and you seem to like it, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012, 11:50 AM   #32

BackBayBiloxi -

I've had a problem similar to yours (windows refusing to boot) several times where a hard drive that it's on previously had a Linux O/S installed.

An solution that has often worked - in the twinkling of an eye - is to use a neat little program that I downloaded and keep in a CD. It's called Super Grub Disk.

P.S.
I've just checked and I think (though I'm not sure) that the version of Super Grub Disk that I have is the one found here -

http://linux.softpedia.com/dyn-postd...p=8071&t=0&i=1

Last edited by Herb; May 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: adding postscript
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 1:08 PM   #33

Default New mysteries

In my first posting at page 1, I said -

`... gOS seemed to be a bit simpler and installed much faster than any other. And it included Wine (something I've never used before). Using Wine I found I could install both Faststone Image Viewer and Photoshop.`

The Photoshop that I was referring to was Elements2. I`ve been doing some more comparisons of gOS andLuninux - & now, after reinstalling gOS, I find that I can`t install Photoshop Elements2 at all - nor can I install any Wine update in gOS. How I managed it in the first place is a mystery, though I do recall that involved a lot of fiddling around with Wine and associated extras.

That`s one mystery. Trying to install PS Elements 2 now always results in the display of a box that says that to install it, the computer MUST have Internet Explorer 4 or higher installed. Why, I wonder? That`s the second mystery.

And now for mystery No.3. Out of frustration I tried installing Photoshop 7 to see what would happen. Under gOS it installed quickly and easily, with no need to update Wine and with no demand that IE4 be present. And moreover PS7 and Faststone Image Viewer interface with each other faultlessly. In fact they seem to run faster with gOS than with Luninux.

So there we are - mystery after mystery - at least to me.

Last edited by Herb; May 24, 2012 at 8:37 PM. Reason: Bad spelling
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2012, 2:07 PM   #34
Administrator

You're probably not installing the same versions of Wine and the associated "helper" applications (for example, Wine Tricks and Play on Wine).

Again, just use the same links in my earlier post here, as installing the latest versions of Wine, Wine Tricks and Play on Linux only takes a minute or two with a few mouse clicks in virtually any modern Linux distro. ;-)

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/co...ml#post1302076

But, personally, I wouldn't even bother to use Wine, as there are just too many good image editing apps with Linux versions available now.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote