Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Just upgraded to a Dell XPS 17

I'm a happy boy, ordered the following spec machine from the UK Dell Outlet.

Graphics : 3GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M Graphics Card
English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
Processor: Intel Core i7-2860QM (2.50 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.60 GHz)
Silver Anodized Aluminum
AntiVirus: McAfee SecurityCenter 30 Day trial version
Display : 17.3in Full HD WLED AG (1920x1080) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
750 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Wireless: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/+ Bluetooth Combo Card)
Misc
Battery : Primary 9-cell 90W/HR LI-ION
8X DVD +/- RW DRIVE
6 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM 1333MHZ (2 DIMMs)
Misc
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

To say I got a great price is an understatement, it was just over half the equivalent if ordering new. It was the processor on this that really sold it to me and compared to the savings on the other machines there I think they had priced it incorrectly, lower spec units were costing quite a bit more.

The worst part now is waiting for it to arrive Got a wedding and another shoot this weekend though so that will take my mind off things.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Administrator

That's the way I usually buy computers (refurbished from Dell Outlet).

I've bought multiple desktops and notebooks that way, usually waiting for coupon codes for more off (they have those on a regular basis here in the U.S., where you may be able to get 15 or 20% off computers at Dell Outlet, bringing the price down even more).

From my perspective, there's no downside to them, since they have the same warranty as a new machine, and the ones I've bought so far from Dell Outlet have looked and worked just like brand new (I sure couldn't tell the difference from a new machine).

Congrats. That sounds like a really nice laptop.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

Here in the U.S., they also sell "scratch and dent" models through Dell Outlet. Those may have cosmetic imperfections that don't impact performance, where they mark them down even more. But, I've only bought the refurbished condition machines so far (although if I found a machine I wanted in "Scratch and Dent" condition at a good price, I wouldn't worry about cosmetic blemishes).
Old Mar 2, 2012, 11:35 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Yep, noticed that option but they only had refurb which was fine with me.

I just tried to build the same spec machine and it was 1600 compared to the 880 that I paid. If you know where to look and get all the discounts available then the new one would come down by another 260 but Joe Public would probably miss out on that.

Either way I made a great saving and sure it will speed up my editing compared to my 5 year old 2.2 Ghz Centrino with 3Gb RAM.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Administrator

Some of the Dell 17" laptops can support dual hard drives, too (although I don't know about that one, and you'd need to look up the specific XPS 17 model to find out).

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1720 for my wife in Dec. 2007 in refurbished condition from Dell Outlet (and it still works fine) that supports dual 2.5" SATA drives internally, although you do need to buy an optional "drive caddy" that the second drive mounts into, which plugs into the internal drive bay and screws down.

But, it's probably a little larger than some of newer 17" models (so some of the newer ones may not support dual drives unless the second drive takes the place of a DVD drive), and I haven't kept up with the models that still have dual internal hard drive bays like our older Inspiron 1720, where you can have two internal hard drives as well as a DVD drive built in.

In any event, it sounds like you found a super deal on a really nice laptop.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:34 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Some of the Dell 17" laptops can support dual hard drives, too (although I don't know about that one, and you'd need to look up the specific XPS 17 model to find out).

I bought a Dell Inspiron 1720 for my wife in Dec. 2007 in refurbished condition from Dell Outlet (and it still works fine) that supports dual 2.5" SATA drives internally, although you do need to buy an optional "drive caddy" that the second drive mounts into, which plugs into the internal drive bay and screws down.

But, it's probably a little larger than some of newer 17" models (so some of the newer ones may not support dual drives unless the second drive takes the place of a DVD drive), and I haven't kept up with the models that still have dual internal hard drive bays like our older Inspiron 1720, where you can have two internal hard drives as well as a DVD drive built in.

In any event, it sounds like you found a super deal on a really nice laptop.
Yep, they give the option for a 2nd drive so it can be done, when I have a bit more cash I will pop an extra on in there. I have 2 in my current so might be able to pop one of them into the new one.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.