Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Mar 5, 2012, 7:42 PM   #1

Default Windows 8 Consumer preview

According to our news radio, the Feb 29 follow-up the the Developer preview - called the Consumer Preview - was downloaded on that day by 1 million people. I was one of them.

Apparently it's supposed to be fully functional. Anybody who downloads it is free to go on using it for something like a year. After that they're expected to pay for it.

In order to try it out, I first formatted my computer hard drive that had Windows XP Home Edition on it. I went back and forth between the two several times, (re-formatting the drive each time). Today, frustration made me finally decide that I much preferred to go on using Windows XP.

Now the really infuriating part. When I tried to finally reactivate Windows XP, up came a notice saying that I'd activated it too many times, so now I couldn't activate it again unless I subjected myself to all sorts of hassles.

It was bad enough to have been induced to try it in the first place, and to struggle with this incompetently designed piece of garbage for several days. But this refusal to let me reactivate XP added injury to insult.

Microsoft have just lost another customer - permanently.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2012, 1:25 AM   #2

You were crus'in for a brus'in if you hadnt imaged your XP OS partition so that it could simply be restored if desired after testing 8 CP. Reinstalling an OS also involves reinstalling the old applications too and besides that there are all the settings adjustments. The most practical way to do such testing is to install the test system on a second HDD that you can swap. You can buy a used HDD inexpensively thru Craigs List. Also, the advice from "Inside Windows" handbook is to not activate until you are sure that you are going to keep that version of the installation. I believe you have something like 15 days for trial.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:22 AM   #3

sdromel - Yes, that's good advice. I have in fact several hard drives sitting & one of them does still have Windows XP on it, so I'm not entirely up the creek without a paddle. But I was unwise to have used my largest capacity hard drive to do the testing. Now the though occurs to me - can I simply copy the contents of the smaller hard drive onto the bigger one, using the dongle that I bought a few weeks ago?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote