Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old May 15, 2012, 1:19 PM   #1

Default Eh?

While reading some comments about a program called Ophcrack I found most of it incomprehensible.

This sentence is just one example -

"On Windows it also adds the support of dumping the hashes through samdump2 live using NTFS low-level access to the locked files."

I wonder how many of us really understand what it`s all about, let alone particular minutae like that.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2012, 9:11 AM   #2
Administrator

Most PC users are not trying to use sophisticated tools to crack passwords. ;-)

Windows stores hashes for the encrypted passwords in a file named SAM, usually located on your system volume (normally c: ) at windows/System32/config/SAM

So, Ophcrack is just using a tool named samdump2 to extract those hashes from the SAM file in order to use Rainbow Tables to try and find a password match for them using advanced decryption algorithms.

But, if you don't care about knowing the actual passwords that are stored and just want to login to Windows if you've forgotten the password, then there's no need to "crack" it. You can just reset it to blank instead using a tool named chntpw.

If you scroll down, you'll see my post (using member name JimC) in a thread discussing ophcrack from a few years ago, with examples on how to install and use chntpw in Mepis (a distro using a Debian stable base):

http://forum.mepiscommunity.org/view...21115&p=175139

You can install chntpw in most any Linux distro, or you can also download a Live CD that uses chntpw from here:

http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote