Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:46 PM   #1

Default Zorin 6.1 Lite and Watt OS R6

I'm trying out these two new Linux versions on an old Gateway e-Series computer & have been astonished at how fast they both run (compared with earlier versions on an old Dragon computer) though I incline to feel that Zorin is the faster of the two.

But I'm mostly interested in trying out Pinta on them. I've never liked Gimp and Pinta seems much more like Photoshop. However, I'm still struggling to learn just how to operate the Pinta layers function. Has anbody got any insights into this?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Administrator

Pinta "rang a bell", and it looks like I did install it somewhere along the way in my current Mepis 11 install (see the links to screen captures below).

But, I never played with it much to see what it has to offer, as I use other packages for most image management/editing purposes in Linux. For example, I use Corel AfterShot Pro the vast majority of the time for most needs, switching to Gimp if I need anything it doesn't provide.

In any event, you may want to check out the docs online for Pinta here:

http://www.pinta-project.com/

My graphics menu choices are below (and I do see that I have Pinta installed, it's just that I never use it for anything):

Graphics Menu:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4536228/pinta1.jpeg

Pinta running (I just loaded it to make sure it still works, as it's been a long time since I first installed it to check it out):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4536228/pinta2.jpeg
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:13 PM   #3

Maybe this should be the start of a separate thread, but while testing Zorin 6.1 Lite, I tried to install Faststone Image Viewer - and it worked.

Even better (from my point of view) that led me to try to install Photoshop Elements 2.

That worked too. In both cases the process used WINE.

I'm also using Firefox and Thunderbird and with those 4 programs also working well there seems to be no reason at all - if I ever buy another computer - for me to install any version of Microsoft Windows.

One curious thing about Zorin 6.1 Lite is that the programs seem to open faster when, instead of double clicking on them, I right click and then click "open".
Old Sep 3, 2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Administrator

Or, just use Native Linux tools instead. For example, for image browsing, I'll often use Gwenview, as it's quite fast.

If you want something capable of handling a lot more tasks, look at digiKam (making sure to install the kipi-plugins that both digiKam and Gwenview can use).

Or, in a commercial product with a Linux version, look at Corel AfterShot Pro. At current sale prices, it's a real bargain. Basically, Corel acquired Bibble Labs a while back and relaunched Bibble Pro as AfterShot Pro. But, Bibble Pro was selling for $199, and you can get AfterShot Pro for only $59.99 on sale right now.

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/i...anguageCode=en

You can download a trial to see if you like it or not. Just use the .deb download for distros based on Ubuntu. Here's a webinar that goes over some of it's features:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i633ZBya9Fc
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:55 PM   #5

UPDATE

I've now been using Zorin 6.1 Lite for several weeks and have found it very much to my liking. It's running a 30gb hard drive in a Dell (a 4700 I think). Just in case the 30gb hard drive starts to run out of space, (or even fail) I'm going to clone it to a rather bigger hard drive. I'm going to use Clonezilla for that - i've found it's quite easy.

After reading what Jim had to say about Gwenview I've installed that for viewing photos and doing minor things like cropping & re-sizing and it's turned out to be very good as well - thanks, Jim.

However, despite trying Gimp & Pinta for more sophisticated picture manipulation, I still prefer Photoshop Elements 2, so I've installed that (I used Wine) and it's working faultlessly.

For email, I tried to use Postler, but no way could I get it to work, so I uninstalled it and am using Thunderbird.