Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:10 PM   #1

Default LPS Deluxe

If I've understood the description of LPS Deluxe correctly (I found it on Distrowatch) it's a program that runs entirely from a CD or DVD and that accesses the Internet.

I downloaded LPS Deluxe and burned it to a DVD then booted my computer from it.

After booting, the screen displayed a good many lines indicating that various programs (including Firefox) were loading, and then this line appeared -

"Welcome to Lightweight Portable Security - - based upon Thinstation Linux 2.2.2f".

After that nothing more happened. I tried pressing 'enter' - and various other things - but nothing worked. I was at a dead end.

Has anybody any idea of what my next step should have been? Does this program actually WORK?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2012, 8:44 AM   #2

from what i can see its a cut down linux look here
http://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:07 AM   #3

Wave01 - Thanks for the link to the LPS-Public Quick Start Guide -I'm going to try the steps listed there.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 5:46 PM   #4

UPDATE on this LPS deluxe problem -

The first computer that I tried the LPS disk on was an old Gateway e-series.

This time I've inserted the LPS in a slightly more recent Dell computer - and Lo and behold, it boots it and it works - and I'm using it to write this post. Now the only problem is - I can't get the sound card to work.....

P.S. Now the sound card works. The computer has 8 different sockets for the sound cord: Usually it's a green one that works, but this time it was one of the others!

Last edited by Herb; Sep 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Problem solved
Old Sep 26, 2012, 1:08 PM   #5

Default More about LPS

The problem that I was having with getting LPS to work on my old Gateway computer has been solved.

The LPS literature suggested that if LPS wouldn't boot fully, it could be that the computer's graphics capability was inadequate.

With that in mind, I bought (for $5) a used ATI graphics card (a PCI one) & inserted that in the old Gateway.

It takes about 2 minutes to complete the boot-up, but after that everything works fine, whether using a CD of the standard LPS or using a CD holding the De Luxe version.

I gather, from the LPS literature, that boot-up time can be much reduced by setting it up to boot from a USB stick (if a computer has that capability) but the old Gateway doesn't have that capability.