Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:50 PM   #11

Oscar, you (and Abiword) have got me going again. This time it's because somebody emailed a pps file to me. Abiword couldn't read it, so I installed OpenOffice - or at least that's what I tried to do. Strangely, Synaptic then installed not OpenOffice but Libre Office. Whatever, it worked!

Next step - I'm going to give Xubuntu a try.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Oscar, ............ Strangely, Synaptic then installed not OpenOffice but Libre Office. Whatever, it worked!

Next step - I'm going to give Xubuntu a try.
Herb, first, once you install XUbuntu, I think you will be as happy as I am, I really do.

2nd, because of what I quoted above, I had to look into that. It seems that all Debian/Ubuntu repositories are getting away from OOO, and it seems like for good reasons.

http://lifehacker.com/5730943/replac...fice-in-ubuntu

Because: "On a more realistic level, with many of OpenOffice.org's developers having jumped ship to the team behind LibreOffice, and with better built-in support for the OOXML/.docx format that's (unfortunately) used by Microsoft Office 2007 and later, it could be a smart upgrade" it looks like I will also have to install Libre Office, although I'd rather not burn the HDD space for something I will never use. But, as you pointed out, it will be needed to open power point docs and such. I had Libre Office installed with the Ubuntu system that I just replaced (with XUbuntu) but I don't ever remember using it. I have OOO installed with my Windows7 system, I suppose I will have to replace that as well if it will no longer be supported.
OscarTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:59 PM   #13

Oscar - I think you said that your version of Xubuntu was 11.04. I've just tried version 11.10 & it seemed markedly different - which makes me wonder whether you would prefer version 11.04?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:47 PM   #14

Quote:
Oscar - I think you said that your version of Xubuntu was 11.04. I've just tried version 11.10 & it seemed markedly different - which makes me wonder whether you would prefer version 11.04?

12.10 is the latest version, but I am using 12.04 (which is the latest stable release) because it's a LTS release, and is supported for 3 years, whereas 12.10 is only supported 18 months. I like the idea of not being forced to install a new OS until 4/2015.

I've never looked at 12.10, but it should be almost the same as what I am using. I think what you are seeing is I have my desktop configured the way I like it, much different than what comes off the CD. I added the application menu, and time and date to the bottom panel, and changed many of the apps in the launchers that are on the bottom panel. That's one of the reasons I like this OS so much, although it's light and fast, I can still set up my system and desktop just the way I want it.

Last edited by OscarTheCat; Dec 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 6:44 PM   #15

Oscar -

I've realised that when I referred to your using Xubuntu 11.04 I was very much confused. I then got even more confused because I thought I was using Xubuntu 12.04 but it turned out that I'd labelled the disk wrongly & it wasn't Xubuntu, but Ubuntu......
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Oscar -

I've realised that when I referred to your using Xubuntu 11.04 I was very much confused. I then got even more confused because I thought I was using Xubuntu 12.04 but it turned out that I'd labelled the disk wrongly & it wasn't Xubuntu, but Ubuntu......
LOL.....I understand completely, I would have been confused as well when I saw that big launcher on the left side of the desktop. Ubuntu is another great OS, but bloated when compared to the xfce desktop environment systems we have been experimenting with in this thread. The Unity Desktop you saw when you loaded Ubuntu is different, people seem to love it or hate it. I wasn't crazy about it because it was a PIA to get the apps set up on that launcher the way I wanted it, but once configured, it worked well. Like I said, for better, and worse, Ubuntu seems to be getting more MAC like all the time. Ubuntu ran very well on my main system, but my laptop constantly labored with Ubuntu installed, the cpu was ALWAYS minimum 50%.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:53 PM   #17

Default Update on Peppermint 3

For several weeks I've been running Peppermint 3 on a Dell Dimension E520 that I'd upgraded to 4gb of Ram with an 80 gb Sata hard drive.

The setup ran very well but I got the itch to see what difference a solid state hard drive would make. I got what our son recommended - a Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series.

Seeing that the Dell's CPU is a double core sort & will run 64-bit software, I then installed the 64-bit version of Peppermint 3.

Surprisingly, I noticed only a slight improvement over the previous setup.

So just to see what would happen, I uninstalled the 64-bit version and replaced it with the 32-bit version of Peppermint 3.

The improvement's been dramatic. Running the 32-bit version, it's clearly faster, but an even bigger pleasure is that scrolling when I'm accessing web sites has become really smooth. Until now I never guessed how much easier that would be on the eyes.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 4:21 PM   #18

Default Another update on Peppermint3

It's well over 2 months since my last update. I've since replaced the 60gb SSD drive with a Samsung 120gb SSD - & Peppermint 3 is running on my Dell Dimension E520 better than ever.

I've tried a few other distros that use the LXDE desktop. A couple of them come pretty close, but I still find Peppermint 3 is (for my purposes) the best, most reliable and easiest O/S of all - including any Windows or Mac O/S.