Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Nov 7, 2012, 7:53 PM   #1

Default What do people think of Peppermint 3?

I've been intrigued by Linux ever since I discovered gOS Gadgets.

Recently, something went so wrong with the sound when running Windows 7 that I nearly bought a new sound card. I'm glad I didn't.
But now I've tried Linux Peppermint 3. I'm completely sold on it.

With Peppermint 3 installed there's no problem with the sound at all.
Peppermint 3 runs quite as fast as did Windows 7 and - really important to me - both Photoshop Elements 2 and Faststone Image Viewer run, with Peppermint 3 via Wine very nicely.

Has anybody else tried it?

I've said goodbye to Windows 7 - .
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2012, 9:16 PM   #2

I've used several Linux distros over the past 5 years or so. I've never tried Peppermint, but after checking it out on distrowatch, it's based on Debian, which I was running as my primary OS until about a year ago. Debian is as stable an OS as you will find, and as you mentioned, very fast. It was less refined than many other distros, but it looks like peppermint dressed it up nice and pretty. I think you made a good choice if you are leaving the dark side for the first time. AS far as running your windows programs in Wine, that's good, but you will find there are plenty of free image viewing/editing apps available free in the repositories. The Gimp might already be included, I didn't look at the app list.

Good luck with the new system. You don't need to ditch 7 entirely, I have a dual boot with Ubuntu 11.10 and 7. I almost never use 7, but it's nice to have available if something won't work in my Linux system. I'll be updating to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Long Term Support) before April when support ends for my 11.10. Ubuntu now supports their LTS releases for 5 years. I used to change OS's all the time, now I can't be bothered, so LTS it is for me.

Last edited by OscarTheCat; Nov 8, 2012 at 9:21 PM.
OscarTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:50 AM   #3

Oscar -

Reluctantly, I have to agree with you that the dual boot Linux/Windows 7 can be useful now and again! So I'm going to set my computer up that way.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:40 PM   #4

Yes, reluctantly, windows is still necessary.

I boot Ubuntu 99 times out 100. Although few and far between, you will probably find something that just won't work in linux, or a software app that is only available in .exe , that won't run, or run well in WINE. GPS software is one good example.

One recent example of why I still have 7 is when I went to update the firmware in my Olympus Pen. The firmware update is available via a program that was only available in a .exe package (there may have been a MAC package, but no Linux package was available). This might have run in WINE, but I wouldn't be willing to find out by hosing the chip in my camera if it didn't behave well in WINE.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 2:43 PM   #5

FYI

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07556
Old Nov 27, 2012, 2:15 PM   #6

Oscar,

Thanks for the link to the Peppermint3 update. I've now put it into effect.

Herb
Old Dec 2, 2012, 5:04 PM   #7

Now that I've been using Peppermint 3 for several weeks, I'm more pleased with it than ever. And after adding Brasero to the list of applications that Peppermint 3 runs, I haven't felt any need to boot into Windows 7. I may even uninstall Windows 7 and throw the Windows 7 install disk into the waste bin.

At one point I tried Linux Lite 1.0.2 & it seemed to work quite well - except for one thing. It seemed impossible to discover how to set it to log in automatically - so Linux Lite 1.0.2 will probably go into the waste bin as well.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:21 PM   #8

Thanks Herb!! You've got me looking at lightweight linux distros. I've been a LXDE fan since it's inception, but, thanks to you, I took a look at XFCE distros. I will be moving soon, so I am packing up my main system. So, I am going to be using my laptop for a while which is an IBM T40 (Centrino 1.5GHz, 1 Gig RAM). Like I wrote earlier, I've used several Linux distros over the years, but I am now a loyal Ubuntu user. Ubuntu just flat out works, right out of the box, and is the easiest install of any distro I've ever used, it's practically automatic.

So, I downloaded and burned a copy of LUbuntu (LXDE), but because of a non-PAE kernel it wouldn't load. I then downloaded & burned Fedora LXDE and XFCE, Debian LXDE andc XFCE, and finally, Xubuntu. Because I like Ubuntu so much, I loaded XUbuntu, and I am glad I did. This OS is very fast on my laptop with limited resources. I also like the XFCE DE more than I did the LXDE, because it offers much more customization ability. In about 1.5 hours, I had the entire system installed, updated, and set up the way I like, with all the apps I prefer (except the KDE apps, like K3B and Amarok, but that's a different subject).

I really could not possibly be any happier with XUbuntu, and the XFCE DE. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a light OS for a netbook or any older system. I haven't tried out many of the packaged apps, but there are plenty of alternatives in the Ubuntu Software Center, and Synaptic is also included as a package manager.

Also, I have 6 DVD's sitting on my desk at home of the distros I mentioned above, and I verify all my downloads by checking the hash before I burned them. They are available free of charge to anyone who wants to send me a self addressed stamped envelope, just send me a PM.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 5:44 PM   #9

Oscar,

I don't know what word processing program you'll be using but with Peppermint, I very much disliked one that loaded automatically. It had something to do with Google & I took an immediate dislike to it, so I removed it & installed Libre Office.

Libre Office was a disappointment too. When I composed text with Libre Office & then tried to copy and paste the text into an Internet blog page, it was a roundabout job getting the paste function to work. I think maybe I'd saved the text in an incompatible format (Libre Office offers umpteen different formats). Whatever, it was a **** nuisance.

So, I uninstalled Libre Office too and tried Abiword. So far, Abiword seems to work much better.

Incidentally, I've discovered by accident that most Linux versions (including Peppermint) make setting (and changing) desktop wallpaper very easy. Just right click on the desktop & go from there!
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:55 PM   #10

Xubuntu comes with Abiword for word processing, and Gnumeric for a simple spread sheet app. I like Abiword very much, have been using it for years. It has just the right balance of features, while remaining light and fast. If you need a full featured office suite, consider openoffice.org (ooo). I've found Abiword, Gnumeric, and Adobe reader to be all I need.

I really am loving this Xubuntu, more than any OS I've ever had installed. So much so, I've also Installed it on my main system. For a lightweight distro, surprisingly, almost everything can be set up and customized quite easily. This was not really possible with LXDE. The panel, and each individual launcher can be customized, and multiple apps can be loaded on each launcher, as shown in my screenshot. I have all my office apps stacked on top of the Abiword launcher. (only visible by clicking the little arrow next to abiword, even the locstion of the little arrow can be customized.)

The best part is, this OS flat out flies on my main system, which really isn't that fast by today's standards.

Also, so far, on both systems, Xubuntu has been rock solid stable. And 12.04 (LTS), which I am using, is supported until 4/2015.
Attached Images