Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Nov 27, 2012, 9:10 PM   #1

Default Have Microsoft just signed their own death sentence?

A great many people resent how Microsoft have - especially since they introduced the newer versions of XP - imposed more and more restrictions on users of their operating systems.

I've tried the release preview of Windows 8, and dislike it so much so that I want no more to do with it whatsoever, but when I read this I felt outraged -

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-sourc...ows-8-pcs/9589

If that report is accurate, it seems to me that anybody buying a new PC should be very cautious indeed.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:51 PM   #2

G'day Herb

Awful - just awful
I used to use a damn good OS on my pc's till I found that MS were writing all the printer drivers for all the printer makers - and the only drivers available for new printers did not work with non-MS OS's incl the one I loved .... so it's gone & I'm forced back to MS

Was not impressed then & not impressed now either

Thanks for the update
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 2:38 PM   #3

Yikes, I'm feeling like there is some sort of anti-trust violation here, similar to when they embedded IE and didn't give you the ability to get rid of it.

This is why I build my own PCs whenever I build a new desktop.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 3:01 PM   #4

I will say however that I don't think that people who are apt to run a different OS will have any trouble getting around this, which leaves the people who probably would probably leave the OS alone as is and they well, they really are probably better off protected from whatever vulnerability might exist for a person to say insert malicious code that reboots into a DOS window and runs something like killdisk....

so yeah it is annoying for people who want to run multiple operating systems but I think those people will be able to work around this.

The idea that this will kill MS on the other hand is a bit hyperbolic at best. The tablets and the mobile devices which MS is always failing at might kill MS but this type of decision won't...
Old Nov 28, 2012, 6:51 PM   #5

ramcewan

Yes I concede that the death of Microsoft is a bit hyperbolic, but I doubt that people who like to use desktop computers are going to be enthusiastic about Windows 8.

I was using Windows 7, but it suddenly began to operate the sound & video functions adequately, so I tried using Linux Peppermint 3 instead and it operates them with no trouble at all.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 2:40 AM   #6

after 30years i switched from pc's to mac 2 years ago never go back
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 6:56 AM   #7

95% of the people that use PCs won't notice a bit. I spend a lot of time working on a computer for my day job and at home. I've used PC and MAC and the truth is - while the glitches in Windows can be annoying they're not to the point where they justify the tax of switching to MAC. There's no debate that MAC is more user friendly but without prices coming down, the difference just isn't great enough for people that are budget conscious. The number of people buying a brand new PC that are going to want to replace the pre-loaded Windows 8 with Windows 7 is infinitesimally small. Die-hard linux users are going to be building their own machines and will get around this.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 4:50 PM   #8

This is a follow-up to my remarks about Linux Peppermint3 in my November 29 posting.

I've now been using LP3 for more than 3 weeks and have found it far more user-friendly than any other of the many earlier Linux programs that I've ever tried. In fact I find it in many ways quite as easy to use as any Windows program - and indeed far easier than the trial version of Windows 8.

And on top of that, Peppermint3 is not only free but requires neither a product key nor activation.

Moreover, I find that I can unplug a hard drive programmed with LP3 from one computer, and plug it into a different manufacturer's computer and (unlike Windows) it works.

All those factors seem to me to be a great advantage compared with Windows - and especially so for those of us who dislike touch screens and consequently want to have nothing to do with Windows 8.

You say, John, that Die-hard linux users are going to be building their own machines.
I agree that it used to be true, but I think that from now on, lightweight Linux programs such as Peppermint are going to persuade a lot of people to look for mass-produced computers that don't have Windows installed.

Perhaps it all boils down to personal taste, but I suggest that people thinking of buying a new computer should first test Peppermint 3 on their old computer.

P.S. - and as well, do what I've just done - replace their old hard drive with a solid state one - even one of only 60gb. The improvement in speed is quite surprising.

Storage isn't a problem - I'm using the 60gb Solid State drive mostly for the operating system - the majority of the files that I want to archive are being kept on a different drive.

Last edited by Herb; Dec 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM. Reason: Adding the postscript