Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Mar 7, 2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Default Linux and Jpeg Optimizer problem

The programs repository in Linux (Peppermint 3 in my case) includes
Jpeg-Optimizer. (In the repository list it shows up as jpegoptim).

I've used Synaptic Package Manager (several times) to install it and according to Synaptic Package Manager) it has installed successfully.

Despite this, I have never found any sign on my computer of it being available.

Has anybody else tried to install & use it? Does any know why it won't work or how I can get it to work?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2013, 12:20 PM   #2

Hi Herb,

Although I am not familiar with your particular OS, or this app, I have been using Synaptic for years.

Sometimes it wiil not create a launcher for a particular app, I don't know why. Your best bet is to do a google search on the subject, or post a question on the peppermint forum. You can probably launch the app via the command line, but you will need to know the command, that's where a search comes in. However, I have created my own launcher in the past using the command, and just assigning it a suitable icon. Have you tried doing a search of your file system for "jpegoptim?" That will probably lead you to the correct folder and you can figure out the rest from there.
OscarTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 2:01 PM   #3

Thanks Oscar. I've tried some of those things including searching for the file but still without success.

A few minutes ago I tried looking for it in Software Manager and it's listed there too - and Software Manager says that it's installed!

I then tried digging further in Software manager and I eventually found this - but it describes some sort of ritual that goes way above my head and I'm much too lazy to try going through all the contortions -

"INSTALLATION
Installation should be very straightforward, just unpack the
tar file, make nesessary changes to the Makefile, and then
compile the program. You may wanna do something like this:

zcat jpegoptim-1.2.5.tar.gz | tar xf -
cd jpegoptim-1.2.5
./configure
make
make strip
make install"

Thankfully there are other graphics programs the will compress jpeg files - though they may not be quite as convenient as Jpeg Optimizer!

Last edited by Herb; Mar 7, 2013 at 2:02 PM. Reason: missing word
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:33 PM   #4

You can ignore all that tar.gz stuff you posted above. That is for installing the app manually if you had downloaded the tar.gz file. But, you installed it via Synaptic, so installing it is not your problem, it's already installed.

Your problem is launching it.

You can try " jpegoptim " in a run command, but you will probably need the path for it to execute.

I don't know how you search you file system with peppermint, I just looked at the included packages, and I didn't see a search app I recognized ( but I'm no guru!). You might want to download/install catfish from the repository, it's a nice file search app. Then search for "jpegoptim" (w/o the quotes) But be sure to change the drop down box below (where you want it to seach for the file(s) ) from "catfish" to "file system."

Also, go to /usr/lib and see if there is a folder for it there.

If you can find the path/command to run it, then you can easily create a desktop launcher for it and choose an icon from your system for it.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarTheCat View Post
You can ignore all that tar.gz stuff you posted above. That is for installing the app manually if you had downloaded the tar.gz file. But, you installed it via Synaptic, so installing it is not your problem, it's already installed.

Your problem is launching it.

You can try " jpegoptim " in a run command, but you will probably need the path for it to execute.

I don't know how you search you file system with peppermint, I just looked at the included packages, and I didn't see a search app I recognized ( but I'm no guru!). You might want to download/install catfish from the repository, it's a nice file search app. Then search for "jpegoptim" (w/o the quotes) But be sure to change the drop down box below (where you want it to seach for the file(s) ) from "catfish" to "file system."

Also, go to /usr/lib and see if there is a folder for it there.

If you can find the path/command to run it, then you can easily create a desktop launcher for it and choose an icon from your system for it.
Or, if you know the path, "path/dir/dir/ ./jpegotim"
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 4:12 PM   #6

Another way to solve your problem may be to examine the properties of your existing launchers already on your system. I know we are using different desktop environments, but the screenshot included shows two launchers on my system. Both apps I added via Synaptic. The launch command file for both lives in /usr/bin . Might want to look there, and if you find a file with the name of the app you are looking for, double click on it and see if it launches the app.
Attached Images

Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:50 AM   #7

Oscar & Gjtoth - I've done (so far as I can) pretty well all the things you suggest - and found lots of files clearly having to do with jpegoptim - but when it comes to getting the program to launch - alas no success at all.

As a last resort I wonder if you or anybody else is using a version of Linux under which jpegoptim is actually working? I've just been trying with Linux ArtistX but got no further with that!
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Oscar & Gjtoth - I've done (so far as I can) pretty well all the things you suggest - and found lots of files clearly having to do with jpegoptim - but when it comes to getting the program to launch - alas no success at all.

As a last resort I wonder if you or anybody else is using a version of Linux under which jpegoptim is actually working? I've just been trying with Linux ArtistX but got no further with that!
Sorry, can't help you there. I run Open Suse.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 4:47 PM   #9

Herb.....

Jpeg Optimizer is run from terminal, meaning it has no GUI (graphical user interface). You would have to run it in a terminal, it is strictly text based. This is not what you are looking for,

Looking through the Ubuntu Software Center, an app named Trimage is more what you are looking for. I suggest you download Trimage from the repositiries.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:20 PM   #10

Oscar -

Yes, I'd already installed Trimage and tried it out - both under Peppermint3 and another Linux version (I think it was Ubuntu Studio 12.1).

When I clicked on Trimage to work on a jpeg file it appeared to have some sort of "compress" feature, but when I tried to use that, it didn't - so far as I could see - effect any change whatsoever.

Like I said, I think I'm going to continue using Faststone and Photoshop Elements 2 via Wine....

Herb