Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:13 PM   #1

Default Linux Zorin question

In February 2013, Zorin issued version 6.2 - "core" 64.

In June 2013 they issued a version called Zorin 7.

Then in August 2013 they issued version 6.4 - "core" 64.

I've tried the live versions of each, but they all seem (to me) to be exactly the same.

Presumably, the August issue updated the February issue - and, again presumably - you would think that Zorin 7 was not an update, but in some significant way different from the 6 series.

What are the differences? Does anybody have an explanation?
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:11 PM   #2

I've downloaded from Distrowatch the descriptions of the Zorin versions that I asked about yesterday. From reading those carefully, I think that the "6.0" series are basically the same, with 6.4 being just the most updated. Also, the "6.0" series is based on Ubuntu 12.04, which means that more updates will become available for them until April 2017.

Version 7 on the other hand is based on Ubuntu 13.04. I'm still trying it out to see if anything about it appeals to an ordinary user (i.e somebody like me).

I had previously been using Peppermint 4, but I've just bought a used Laser printer (H.P.Laserjet 1320) & Peppermint couldn't detect it. All the Zorin versions on the other hand detected and installed it automatically within a minute after switching the printer on.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
I've downloaded from Distrowatch the descriptions of the Zorin versions that I asked about yesterday. From reading those carefully, I think that the "6.0" series are basically the same, with 6.4 being just the most updated. Also, the "6.0" series is based on Ubuntu 12.04, which means that more updates will become available for them until April 2017.

Version 7 on the other hand is based on Ubuntu 13.04. I'm still trying it out to see if anything about it appeals to an ordinary user (i.e somebody like me).

I had previously been using Peppermint 4, but I've just bought a used Laser printer (H.P.Laserjet 1320) & Peppermint couldn't detect it. All the Zorin versions on the other hand detected and installed it automatically within a minute after switching the printer on.
Sorry... can't help ya. I use OpenSuse.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:10 PM   #4

Default Update

There are now several more issues of Zorin - not just Zorin 7 but also Zorin 7.1 plus Zorin 7 Lite and Zorin 7.1 Lite.

I've found that burning the iso of them to a DVD/RW or a CD/RW is a cheap way to compare them because if you don't like a result, you can re-use the disk to install a different version.

I've tried all of them, and the differences all seem to have to do with what applications are already installed.

It's been interesting, but the bottom line (for me) is that I like Zorin 6.4 (Core) the most. The main changes I've made to it are discarding the ready installed graphics programs and replacing them with gthumb from the repository and Photoshop Elements 2 - which is a snap to install because Wine is already installed.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:04 AM   #5
Administrator

Hey Herb:

I moved the OpenSUSE related posts to another thread (so I wouldn't be hijacking your thread):

OpenSUSE 13.1
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:14 AM   #6
Administrator

Herb:

That they work the same is probably a good thing. A lot of time, you see too many changes between distro versions that can be irritating and involve a learning curve.

As you noticed, it appears that Zorin 6.x releases are built on top of an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (long term support) base.

Pros and cons to either approach. With newer hardware, it's sometimes better to go with a later release with a newer kernel, drivers, software, etc. But, Zorin may be updating the kernel and drivers with newer 6.x releases to try and handle that kind of thing. I don't keep up with it.

It actually seems like an easy to use distro that would make it a good candidate for Windows users wanting to migrate to Linux. But, personally, the last time I tried it, I found the default "desktop effects" to be very annoying (too much for my tastes). You can probably figure out how to disable them though.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 1:46 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
I haven't used it. But, it looks like Peppermint 4 is using an Ubuntu 13.04 base.

So, you probably just don't have all of the needed packages installed.

Chances are, installing the latest HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging and Printing System) would solve it if CUPS (Common Unix Printing System) is already installed. HP has super support for Linux.

See the attached image for some of the hplip related packages I see on an old laptop I'm using right this minute. They're Debian packages from an older Mepis release (my desktop is broken and I'm using my wife's old laptop for now until I can get a newer PC setup)

But, you should find similar packages in Ubuntu based distros. If you search for hplip using Synaptic, then right click on it, mark it for installation and click apply; Synaptic will probably install most of the rest of the needed packages for you (needed data files, PPD files, etc.). Or, if not, just look at "recommended packages" after you "right click" on hplip and mark it for installation, and mark the the "recommended" packages for install, too (then click on the Apply button and Synaptic will install them for you).;

If you don't have Synaptic installed (very popular tool for installing and updating software on Ubuntu and Debian based distros), get it like this from a terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install synaptic

You can also install hplip like this from a terminal with Ubuntu based distros:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install hplip

Also, just because a printer is not automatically detected doesn't mean it's not supported. Chances are, you'll find a setup screen somewhere in the Peppermint menus that lets you pick a printer brand/model to add one manually.

If you don't see that kind of thing in any of it's setup menus, you can just use this address from a browser (firefox, chrome, etc.) to access CUPS to add and configure printers:

http://localhost:631

IOW, CUPS has a simple, web browser based interface that is common to virtually any linux distro. That lets you use a browser to add and configure your printers, manage print jobs, etc. But, chances are, you'll find a nicer GUI based tool somewhere in the distro's menus.
Attached Images

Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:56 PM   #8

Jim,

Thanks for the tip about hlip. I've followed it up by installing the latest version of Peppermint on a spare computer and then using Synaptic Package Manager to install hlip. It didn't automatically detect & install the the HP printer, but once I'd clicked on Menu>System tools>Printers it recognised the HP laser printer immediately - and a couple of clicks after that the printer was working.

Now I've got a new problem - deciding which I like better - Peppermint or Zorin 6.4. Quite possibly Peppermint will win because its menu seems (to me) to be more straightforward.

On the other hand, my son has a laptop computer (an ASUS I think) and while he hates Windows and says he much prefers the Peppermint that I installed on it for him, he's now complaining that his sound card (which worked at first) has stopped working. So he's going to let me install Zorin on it, because he says he's lost without the sound.

I take it that when you mention your dislike of Zorin's default desktop effects you're referring to the irritating blue hexagonal pattern. I don't much like the current desktop displays in either Peppermint or Zorin. However, I've discovered that there are two earlier Wallpapers that started (I think) with Peppermint Ice. An Internet search also produces these - one is a sort of monotone grey and the other is in shades of red -

http://distrowatch.com/images/screen...t-10012010.png

http://shiningobjects.files.wordpres...eppermint1.jpg

Using Photoshop, it's easy to modify either to both remove unwanted text and to refer to the current version of Peppermint that you're using (or for that matter to refer to the version of Zorin that you're using).

Last edited by Herb; Dec 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM. Reason: correcting wrong URL