Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:16 PM   #1

Default Linux superx

A few weeks ago I noticed SUPERX near the bottom of the Distrowatch list, & when I saw that it had originally been created by a teenager in India, I tried it out.

It's one of the few systems I've found where (on my computer) Pinta works properly. Also, one of its desktop wallpapers called Fog on the West Lake looks very soothing and uncluttered, especially with all the ikons except one removed. (The remaining one is the Trash ikon, and I'm still trying to figure out where else I can activate it.)

At first I felt disappointed that it didn't automatically install with an LXDE desktop, but when finding that only one click displays another page showing all the various programs that are installed I'm starting to really like it.

I wonder - does anybody feel as attracted to it as I do?

(January 5th ) -Well, that didn't last long. My efforts to use Wine to install Photoshop worked well with one hard drive (I can't remember how I did it) but every attempt to get the same result with other hard drives failed. There have been other disappointments too.

So now I'm back to good old Peppermint 4, though Linux Mint LXDE 13.04 is nearly as good.

I've found other O/S versions based on Ubuntu versions up to 13.04 not bad: but anything based on the later version Ubuntu 13.10 has had severe problems. I've found the same with Zorin - version 6.4 has been fine, but the latest Version 8 - admittedly not a distribution issue - was barely workable either. Maybe my computers aren't sufficiently up to date - though all three of them have dual core CPUs and 4gb of RAM.

January 7th

Please take no notice of my mention in the previous paragraph of serious problems and especially of my saying that there were problems with Zorin 8. I've just tried Zorin 8 again - this time with a small (60gb) SSD hard drive - and it's all working with no problems at all.

Last edited by Herb; Jan 7, 2014 at 6:44 PM. Reason: I came to a wrong conclusion
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:02 AM   #2
Administrator

Just install PlayOnLinux when you need help running Windows apps in Wine. it lets you select from a number of different Wine versions, helps install extra libraries, etc.; and it sets up a "virtual" instance of Windows for each program you want to install (so that registry entries, libraries, graphics settings, etc. are unique to a given instance of Wine).

One reason you're seeing better compatibility with Windows programs with some distros, is because they're probably using PlayOnLinux. Once installed, you'll find it under the Games Menu (and you'll see links to packages for popular linux distros on their downloads page). So, if you're using a distro with an Ubuntu base (as many of them do), just use the appropriate .deb package you'll find (32 bit versus 64 bit, etc.) to install it (and once installed, you should find a menu choice for it under the Games menu in most distros).

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:32 PM   #3

I've been playing with LXLE on a couple of "older" machines that used to run Windows XP. One has only 1 gig of RAM the other 2 gigs. Both run this distro lickety-split and it's loaded with goodies. Picked right up on virtually any peripheral I can throw at it from Bluetooth to wireless printer.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2014, 3:54 PM   #4
Administrator

To each, their own.

If I'm going to be installing Linux on an older PC with 1GB or more memory, I'm just going to use a newer distro with KDE installed (as the latest KDE 4.1.x releases are plenty fast enough from my perspective, as the KDE desktop performance has been improving by "leaps and bounds" compared to the first KDE 4.x releases).

For example, my wife's 6+ year old laptop only has 1GB of memory and it runs just fine with KDE (using a Debian Stable base with it), with loads of applications she uses installed (LIbreOffice, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Thunderbird and even Skype for video calls). You'd be surprised at well a laptop bought in 2007 (in used/refurbished condition at the time) still works over 6 years later with Linux on it,

I also installed the KDE version of Linux Mint 16 (since Mint has most codecs users need already installed and is easier for linux "newbies") on my niece's older desktop recently (older AMD CPU with 1.5GB of memory), and it works fine on it, too.

I had installed the Cinnamon version of Mint 16 to begin with. But, although it worked OK, it still felt just a bit "sluggish" on an older desktop like that (even though I disabled the desktop effects to try and make it faster)

So, I decided to try the KDE release of Mint 16 on it instead. To my surprise, the newer KDE release was much faster on it (I replaced the default Cinnamon release with the KDE release, and the KDE release of Mint 16 with KDE 4.11 included is [very] noticeably faster. even if you disable the desktop effects in Cinnamon and leave them enabled in KDE).

So, unless absolutely necessary (especially if a computer has 1GB or more of memory installed), I'm not going to compromise in the usability and configuration areas with a "lighter" desktop like LXDE (nothing against LXDE, but it's just nowhere near as full featured with the customizations you get with KDE), and just use a more full featured desktop like KDE instead (as the newer releases of it are very fast, even if you leave the desktop effects enabled).

IOW, I'd look at LXDE as being a "last resort" if working with an older PC (i.e., I might give it a try with a PC with less than 1GB of RAM), and would much prefer to let users have the more full featured KDE desktop environment instead (and the newer KDE 4.11+ versions are surprisingly fast).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote