Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Computers and Operating Systems

Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:50 AM   #1

Angry How happy are you with Windows 10?

I upgraded to 10 from Windows 7 Pro but soon got disappointed and reverted back to 7.

What has been your experience?

Please do share your story.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:12 AM   #2

Hi, I currently have windows 7 pro, and have been bombarded at every turn with free offers to upgrade. Microsoft seems a little pushy on the subject, and, after reading your post, I think I will wait and see if others get in on the conversation. I know at some point in the future, we will have to go to the next operating system, but for now, 7 works just fine. Like the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:16 AM   #3

I was initially interested, but the more I read, the less interested I became. I got the impression that they only released it to the public on the previously announced date because they didn't want the bad publicity from a delay, not because it was ready for release. This just seem to be the largest beta test in history, and not a fully functional OS. If the privacy concerns are addressed, and the functionality improves, I may switch from 7. If I were forced to choose a new OS right now, I believe I would switch to Linux.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:38 AM   #4
Administrator

Personally, I have no plans to upgrade any of my Windows installations to Windows 10 at this time.

I do have Windows 10 running in a Virtual Machine (using VirtualBox with a Linux host) for test purposes, setup to get the insider builds and updates via the "fast" ring. But, I'm not going to update any of my existing hard disk installations of Windows any time soon.

What amazes me is just how much Microsoft Windows has changed as far as the amount of data they're trying to capture now.

I'm seeing a lot of new programs designed to change privacy settings to minimize the data being collected, so that you're not trying to find all of the settings related to privacy in order to change them yourself.

Another concern with Windows 10 is that Microsoft is pushing updates to users with no way to opt out. IOW, with Windows 8.1 and earlier, you could choose the updates you want to install and avoid the rest. But, with Windows 10, you no longer have the ability to opt out of updates.

We're not just talking about Critical Security related Updates either. We're talking about all updates, including feature updates. So, if Microsoft wants to add a new app that includes pop ups about their latest Office Products, etc.; you're stuck with those updates.

They're already doing something similar to that with Windows 10 (with notifications in your panel that are little more than thinly disguised Spam for Microsoft Products and Services like Office 365).

Frankly, I don't want my operating system to be turned into an Advert delivery platform, and it seems pretty obvious to me that Microsoft is pushing the "free upgrade" to Windows 10 in order to make more money from Bing adverts in search results by default, adverts in news feeds, etc. (as well as adverts in other apps from the Microsoft store).

With Windows 10 Pro (versus Home), you can delay the installation of Updates. But, you can't avoid them.

With Windows 10 Home, you don't have that feature. If you want to run it, you have to accept all of Microsoft's updates, like them or not.

For more control over the update process, you'd need to be running Windows 10 Enterprise.

No thanks. I want the ability to decide what updates get installed on my computers. The free upgrade offer is good until July 2016. So, there is no hurry to upgrade, and I'm going to watch Microsoft's behaviour to see how ethical they are about the types of forced updates they provide to users before making a final decision before the upgrade offer expires.

But, chances are, I'll stick with the Windows releases I have now, and will not update them to Windows 10.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:15 AM   #5

Microsoft is a pitiable third after Apple and Google.The reason, Bill Gates has been greedy from the word go.No amount of his charitable foundations are going to make up for his basic greedy motive.
He now thinks he can impose his greed vis his "free" OS.Don't believe the opportunist Microsoft.
I hope and pray an alternative to MS comes up and frees us from its tyranny.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:57 AM   #6
Administrator

You already have other options. ;-)

For example, Windows is not really needed for anything in my case, except for testing of camera manufacturer supplied software, and testing of reported problems with Internet Explorer.

Right now, my computers are all set up in dual boot configs with Linux and Windows (so I can choose the Operating System I want to use each time I restart my computers) and Windows is rarely used.

For example, my primary desktop (Dell XPS 8500) is setup with OpenSUSE 13.1 using a KDE Desktop and 64 Bit Windows 8.1. I have a Dell Inspiron 11Z Netbook setup with MX-14 (a linux distro using a Debian base with an XFCE Desktop) and 64 Bit Windows 7; and I have a Dell Inspiron 15 Laptop setup with Kubuntu 14.04 (Ubuntu Long Term Support Release with a KDE Desktop) and 64 Bit Windows 8.1.

My wife uses Linux, too. She currently uses an HP Laptop setup with Kubuntu 14.10 and 64 bit Windows 8.1. But, I doubt she's ever booted into it's Windows installation for anything, as she has everything she needs setup in Linux. For example, it has LibreOffice installed for docs and spreadsheets; Internet Browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Opera installed; VLC for media playback, Amarok for Music management and playback, Skype for Video calls, Gwenview for Image Viewing, and more.

I also have Windows 10 installed in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox. That way, you can run it in a resizeable Window while using Linux as the "host" Operating System. IOW, you're running more than one Operating System at the same time that way.

Chances are, I'm not even going to keep the dual boot configs much longer, and just use Windows from Virtual Machines for everything (reinstalling Windows 7 or Win 8.1 in virtual machines running under Linux for that purpose), so that no reboot is needed to use Windows apps. But, again, Windows is not needed for much anyway (except for testing camera manufacturer's software or trouble shooting issues with Internet Explorer).

Some users will need Windows apps for more things (e.g. Photoshop for more complex image editing tasks).

But, available software with Linux versions works fine for my needs (Corel AfterShot Pro for Image Management and RAW conversion, LibreOffice for docs and spreadsheets, Chrome and Firefox for web browsing, VLC for video playback, etc.); and if I do need to use any Windows specific software, I can just click on a icon to start a copy of Windows in a Virtual Machine in Linux (running Windows in a resizeable Window, just like any other program).

Here's a screen capture (attached below) of my wife's KDE desktop (as in the type of User Interface she sees on her laptop).

I've got her laptop setup showing the desktop folder by default with a KDE 4.x Plasma User Interface (the default desktop type with Kubuntu 14.x), with icons on the desktop and bottom panel for quick access to the some of apps she uses more often.

I also have a folder view panel setup for her Home folder (so it includes shortcuts to folders for the Desktop, Documents, Pictures, etc -- opening up a folder in the Dolphin File Manager if she clicks on the shortcut to it).

As you can see from the below screen, she likes to keep a lot of stuff on her desktop though (folders for different things, files for some things). This desktop setup makes it very easy for her to use (as she is not very good with anything computer related). Downsized for forum post.

Note that Linux Mint (a distribution using an Ubuntu base with various desktops available like KDE, Cinnamon and Mate) is very popular. So, you may want to give one if it's releases a test drive to see if you like it or not (and most linux distributions an run from a USB Flash Drive or DVD so you can try them without installing them). Here's a review of Linux Mint KDE (personally, I prefer a KDE desktop) you may want to look at:

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2...ew-better.html

Here's a review of their Cinnamon version (the Cinnamon desktop has a a different "look and feel" to it's desktop, menus, etc.) that you may want to look it:

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2...on-review.html

There are hundreds of choices available now when comparing Linux distributions. Linux is only the underling kernel, not the desktop you see (KDE vs Gnome vs Cinnamon vs Mate, etc.) or the applications included. So, you can't judge one distro by another, and assume they're all the same (as you'll find different desktops, included software, software update utilities used, etc. The below screen capture is of Kubuntu 14.10 on my wife's laptop (one choice out of hundreds of different linux distributions), lightly customized with widgets for a clock and weather, and it works fine for her needs.
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:05 PM   #7

Thanks Jim.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 8:19 PM   #8

Ya, Ive been using Puppy Linux now in effort to wean myself away from Microsoft's stuff.

As far as my experience is, MS stuff effectively has turned into overly complicated junk. Ninety plus percent of what their stuff does, nobody wants or needs/uses. It just gets in the way & that includes their office stuff.

The excessive spying/data collection is the straw that has broken the camels back now for lots of subscribers (go to Anandtech.com - forums - operating systems)
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2017, 11:47 AM   #9

Hello alls !
I have install the new update of Windows 10 today .. Creators Update...
I work all the days with W10 ..
informatiquerouen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:26 AM   #10

Linux is one good alternative .. il use it s since 1994 ... i have begin with one Slackware...for the beginners Linux Mint is one good solution.
informatiquerouen is offline   Reply With Quote