Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jun 8, 2008, 6:36 PM   #1

I'm intrigued by the Sanyo Xacti HD1000 reviewed here -- I'm definitely in the market for another video camera (last one was a Sony Mini-DV bought ten years ago. Great, great video and small size for its time). I love the form factor (I'm an old man and need something as light as possible to carry around with me all the time) and the specs all seem great except...

"As for opening the full 1080i videos on a computer, we have not yet been able to. Even with the latest version of Quicktime, the videos freeze and will not run. The 720 HD videos run a little choppy on the computer"

Well. It kind of seems oxymoronic to have an HD camcorder that doesn't produce usable HD video. We all know it is not enough to be able to see videos on the camcorder -- you must edit your videos to make them worth seeing by others. Eventually I'll burn HD videos to a blu-ray disc, but I certainly want the ability to work with them.

But even now I'm sure I'd want to shoot widescreen (so, thus, 720 HD) and downconvert to, say 960 x 540. I'm guessing I might be able to convert the 720 HD QT videos to do this, but would love a sample to make sure. Any chance you could post one?

And, of course, would love to know if you've heard any more from Sanyo on the issue of not being able to open a 1080i video on the computer.
mkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:35 PM   #2

Thanks for this post. Wanted to wait to reply till I had more info. The HD1000's full res output is meant for TV viewing. So for now this limitationof playing full res on your computer has more to do with Video Player softare and Codec's rather than the manufacturer of the hardware. It's probably best to run in 720p mode when recording for now. We are not going to post a sample in full res but we have found a few on myspace.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote