Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:05 AM   #11

You may also want to try the newest 3.5.1 version if you're not using it already. It appears to be noticeably faster on most sites I frequent. Go here to get it:

I'm using Firefox 3.5.1 under Windows Vista and have more than one version of Firefox (3.0.x and 3.5.x versions) installed under Linux (mostly because some of the plugins I use are not yet compatible with the latest 3.5.x versions and I use Linux most of the time). They all work fine with Steve's for me.

One issue I did have with the latest Firefox 3.5.1 version under Vista is color management related. Color Management is enabled by default in Firefox 3.5.x. That didn't impact speed, only color rendering (apparently due to a compatibility issue with my monitor profile). Disabling color management fixed that issue for me. If you run into oversaturated colors with 3.5.x, you can easily disable it as follows:

Type in “about:config” (without the quotes) in the address bar and press enter. You'll see a screen telling you something about continuing can effect your warranty. Continue through it to make changes.

Then, type in "gfx.color_management.mode" (without the quotes) in the search box. Click on that line to edit it, then change the value to 0.

Then, once you restart Firefox, color management will be disabled.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 7:30 AM   #12

Thank you, JimC. I've filed the color management suggestion for reference, should I need it at a future time. I have used Firefox 3.5.1 since it became available, and it is now working as well as or better than the earlier versions ever did. So all is well for me now.
July is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2009, 8:56 AM   #13

Originally Posted by JimC View Post

You may have a problem with one of your Firefox plugins, especially if you're seeing an issue on more than one site. So, you may want to try disabling each one under Tools>Addons to try and find any culprits. I'd also try clearing your cache (under Tools>Clear Private Data in the newer versions of Firefox).

I'm using Firefox exclusively for accessing Steve's under both Windows and Linux.
I too use Firefox exclusively (and linux 95% of the time). Paul, like JimC said, be sure you check your plug-ins. I know that I've had problems in the past with watching videos or listening to music that use an Adobe Flash player. Firefox would just display a grey square where the video/music player was suppose to be. I've since corrected this issue.

The fact that your seeing faster load times in IE is surprising. One of the reasons I switched to Firefox was because of speed.

Good luck, and please let us know when you get it figured out.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2009, 5:51 PM   #14
Default Cheers!

Thanks Jim, Billy & July

I will definitely look at my firefox add-ins and upgrade to the latest version. As far as I know I only have 2 plug ins, (download toolbar and an EXIF / info thing). I'll try to disable them and yes, also troubleshoot with the add-ins / latest release.

It's only been the last few months I've noticed firefox is much slower on some sights than Internet explorer. I also initially (few years back) found firefox faster for all sites.

Many thanks again. I will let you know how I go!

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote