Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Default Zooming Canon G11 while recording

You had mentioned in your recent Dec review for the Canon G11 that you couldn't zoom while recording in the video mode. The manual says that you can and from my experience of actually doing it, yes, you can zoom

theherrieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:56 PM   #2

Unlike most other cameras where the zoom works optically, the zoom in the G11 only works has digital 4X in video mode. No need to say that the digital zoom is nowhere as effective as the optical.

Most reviews don't consider digital zoom as true zoom (and they are quite right on that), so in that terms the G11 does not have zoom for videos
rayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 9:29 AM   #3

Sorry, I though I replied to this post from my phone over the holiday.

rayaz is correct. The G11's optical zoom can not be used while recoding video with sound. This is because the zoom mechanism in not quiet, and if they did allow it to operate during video capture, you would not be satisfied with the movie quality when you played back a clip.

You can preset the desired focal length before hand, which can produce great results. Just be sure you have a steady hand, or some sort of camera support like a monopod if you are using the telephoto end of the 5x zoom.

Like rayaz said, the digital zoom is not something we recommend using. If you absolutely need to zoom while recording, the digital zoom can come in handy. Just remember that it degrades image quality, so your video will not look the greatest.

I hope this helps.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote