Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:12 AM   #1
Default Canon S3 IS SD card max size/speed?

I am having a problem finding out what the max size SD(HC?) card my S3 will handle. I'm seeing a good deal on a class 10 32 G card I'd love to put in, but can't find it the camera will use it ok or not.

Also, what speed is the camera capable of saving to the card at? In other words, will the camera only save at class 2 speed max, regardless of the speed capability of the SD card?

Or how/who can I find out this information from without buying the card and trying it?

rernst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2011, 10:41 AM   #2

Canon claims the S3 IS is compatible with SD/SDHC and MMC type memory cards. SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity) cards are rated up to 32GB, so that class 10 32GB card you listed should work fine in your S3 IS as long as it is a SDHC card, and not a SDXC (Secure Digital eXtended Capacity).

I hope this helps.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2011, 11:18 AM   #3

Great, thanks! I did get ahold of Canon support and they corroborated the use of up to 32G cards. They also said the camera will only save at a maximum of class 2 speeds, so getting a faster one (woot.com has 32G class 10 for $34+$5 shipping today) won't help that for me at least with my Powershot S3 SI, but at least I'll know it's not the card that's taking long to save each pic.

Is there a good way to know if/how fast the camera is saving a pic? stopwatch and take a pic and time it?
rernst is offline   Reply With Quote