Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:05 PM   #1
Default problem with uploading photo to forum

I receive an error message when trying to upload pictures to forum. Thank you.
koimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:14 AM   #2

What error message are you getting? That will help us better diagnose the problem.

billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:47 AM   #3

Hey koimon:

I checked your post history and don't see any photos in them to try and diagnose what went wrong. That tells me they probably didn't complete the upload process due to maximum allowed sizes being exceeded.

When you use the Attachments manager (paperclip icon) to upload an image, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes shown by each file type on the screen that comes up with a browse button on it. For jpeg files, the file size should be no larger than 253KB (260,000 bytes), and the dimensions in pixels should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the longest side.

If it's larger than the maximum allowed sizes, the forums will attempt to downsize and recompress the image, and will strip out the EXIF information in the image header (that contains camera settings used), to try and make the image "fit" within our maximum limits.

But, if it's too much larger than the maximum sizes allowed (as a full size image from a camera may be), it may fail to upload at all (and that's what I suspect happened in your case).

So, it's a good idea to use an image editor to downsize your images first (making the longest side no larger than 1024 pixels), using a compression setting (JPEG Quality slider in most editors) that keeps the file size less than 253KB. Usually, a setting of around 80% JPEG quality is good enough to keep the file size small enough for uploading to our servers, provided the image size in dimensions is within limits (downsized so that it's no more than 1024 pixels on the longest side).

If you're using Windows, you may want to try the free Irfanview to resize your images.

After opening an image (File>Open), just go to the Image>Resize/Resample choice and make the longest dimension no larger than 1024 pixels (and around 800 is fine), making sure the box to retain aspect ratio is checked. Personally, I use the Lanczos algorithm for resizing (you'll see a drop down list of choices).

Then, after you resize the image so that the dimensions are smaller, use the File>Save As choice and give it a new filename (so that you don't overwrite your original), selecting JPG as the file type. When saving a JPEG file, you'll see a box pop up with a JPEG quality slider. I'd make it about 80% to keep the file size where it's not too large for an image with dimensions of around 800 pixels on it's longest side.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote