Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:41 AM   #1

Default Canon S100

Dear Steve
When you tested the Canon Powershot S100 did you then notice a sound problem when looking at the films made from the camera? I have that problem and I have noticed I am not the only one when google about that.
It is a noise (sound) coming from Auto Focus and IS during making a film.
It is like i ticking sound.
I wonder if you know if all S100 have this or only some. And do you believe Canon will do something about this for next batch cameras? I mean, do they use to fix problems like that or not.
If talking with them directly there is of course no sound problem...

Links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ggKMlwJXQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi0HQ4uLOcw

Best Regards
Captor

Last edited by Captor; Mar 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM. Reason: Forget to submit email notification
Captor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:05 AM   #2
Administrator

Captor,

I spoke with our reviewer, and he mentioned that while we had the S100 in for testing, he did not notice the sound problem you mentioned here.

Best bet would be to contact Canon about this further if your S100 is experiencing this issue. If there is a "problem", I have faith in Canon to resolve it.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 8:31 AM   #3

Dear Billy
Thanks for your reply. Did you look at the video samples at youtube that I attached?
It seems to be pretty common. Canon of course donīt admit that there is a sound problem. Maybe later when many people complains. My first S100 I bring back. Now I will make a new try. maybe not all of them have this problem considering that your test camera was OK. About having faith in Canon to solve a problem like this, I donīt know. Maybe they donīt even seeing this as a problem....
So me personally donīt have the same faith:-)
Anyway, thanks for your reply. I will give it a new chance.
Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:33 PM   #4

Default Canon S100 audio problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captor View Post
Dear Steve
When you tested the Canon Powershot S100 did you then notice a sound problem when looking at the films made from the camera? I have that problem and I have noticed I am not the only one when google about that.
It is a noise (sound) coming from Auto Focus and IS during making a film.
It is like i ticking sound.
I wonder if you know if all S100 have this or only some. And do you believe Canon will do something about this for next batch cameras? I mean, do they use to fix problems like that or not.
If talking with them directly there is of course no sound problem...

Links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ggKMlwJXQo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi0HQ4uLOcw

Best Regards
Captor
I had the same problems with a Canon S100 I bought a month or so ago, returned it, cause the noise problems in the video was unacceptable. My S95 has no noise in the videos. Here is the sounds mine makes, listen carefully, there are 2 sounds, a clicking when focusing and a creaking when holding it. I took it back to the store for a refund.

http://youtu.be/jJsIlgEUyCI
Unicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2012, 2:55 PM   #5

Dear Unicus

Yes, those are exact the sounds I mean. I have them as well. Or had, because me too have bring back the camera. The sounds are totally unacceptable.
Better I try to find a S95 then.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 4:36 AM   #6

Interesting comments here...
I had a similar noise in my SX210is- and indeed on many other cameras.
I personally just put it down to a sacrifice of cramming so much technology into a small package,with the mic's inevitably picking up the sounds of the auto-focus mechanisms and the image stabiliser. I didn't think it was a fault per se...!
Maybe I was wrong..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 5:10 AM   #7

Dear Simon
Yes, I think you might be wrong. I have had different Ixus cameras without that problem. And they are smaller as you know and cheaper as well.
I have also had other brands than Canon without this problem.
And if you google you will probably find more about s100. There is on youtube for example.
And also there you will find s100 with flickering light problem as well. Canon claims they have an update for this but that update donīt always help.
Oops, that was another subject, sorry...
Old Apr 29, 2012, 8:10 PM   #8

Default Canon S100 audio problem (woodpecker sound)

I'll only use this forum once. I had the same problem, and panicked, since I just bought the camera. I checked google, and this forum popped up, so I thought I ought to respond. Solved the problem by using Manual Focus. Turn mode dial to movie mode. Push Control Dial on left side (micro/MF). Select MF ( Manual Focus).This disables all the internal AF noise in the camera. Then push movie button. As long as you are shooting a subject that doesn't require refocus (my case), it works perfect, with no woodpecker present. Canon should include this info in their manual. But it is a case of too complicated a system, cockpit error potential, and computers controling our lives a little to much.
Gary H. is offline   Reply With Quote