Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Mar 15, 2012, 12:09 PM   #1
Default More Information in Photo Contest

I just want to say that when user enter the Photo Contest, it should require to enter additional information about the Aparture, Shuttler, etc. So that for people like me will be able to learn how it was done.
raylee011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:05 PM   #2

Thanks for the comment.

One thing you may not realize is that most photos posted still include the image Exif with information about the camera settings used.

So, you could see that type of information using one of the common Exif viewers available (and many image viewers will display Exif information).

You can find a number of browser plugins that give you EXIF info, too.

For example, I keep the free Exif Viewer by Alan Raskin installed in Firefox, so I can see camera settings in an image just by right clicking on it and selecting the menu choice to "View Image Exif Data". It's a cross platform (works in Linux, OS X, and Windows).

Or, if you want even more info, you can use Jeffry's Exif Viewer. It uses ExifTool by Phil Harvey to extract a lot of the camera settings data.

There are a number of others around, too. For example PhotoME is a good one for use with Windows (but, they don't offer versions for other operating systems). After you install it, you can also install extensions for Firefox or IE so you can load it when you right click on an image. For example, here's the Firefox extension for it (install the main program first, then any browser extensions you want to use):

But, I usually just use Exif Viewer by Alan Raskin to see the Exif in most images (by right clicking on them while browsing with Firefox and select the menu choice to View Exif Data), and if I need more info, I just click on the icon I've for Jeffry's Exif Viewer on my Bookmarks toolbar, and it will automatically give me the Exif info for the photo I'm currently viewing in Firefox.

For example, this is the page that I go Automatically if I'm viewing today's POTD and click on the icon in my bookmarks toolbar for Jeffry's Exif Viewer. Scroll down below the images and you'll see a lot of information about it:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote