Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:31 PM   #1

Default Pay per view on tablet/ipad

Why are we being forced to buy the "Forum Runner" app in order to read the forum on a tablet or iPad? If I hit cancel the "buy app" disappears until any change is made then it reappears. This evening I was forced to hit cancel over 60 times until I quit and deleted the app. It is the constant harassment to buy the app that is irritating not it's $1.99 price that I will not pay as it is not needed.
Trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:27 PM   #2

I'm trying to understand the problem. I have the ipad2, and have never had this problem. I've seen the come-on to check the app out, but after I politely declined, I never saw it again. Did you buy the app? I'm confused by your statement: "This evening I was forced to hit cancel over 60 times until I quit and deleted the app."...

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:47 PM   #3

When the pop up appears and I hit cancel I am able to read the forum until I move to another thread where upon the pop up returns. Cancel must be hit every time I change threads. This is on an iPad 3 operating on iOS 6.1 and on my galaxy 3.
Trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:34 AM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
When the pop up appears and I hit cancel I am able to read the forum until I move to another thread where upon the pop up returns. Cancel must be hit every time I change threads. This is on an iPad 3 operating on iOS 6.1 and on my galaxy 3.
Your problem should only occur if you changed your browser settings so that cookies are not allowed (the default with most browsers is to Allow Cookies).

We had a lot of users complaining that the forums were not mobile friendly. So, the solution we went with was to let Forum Runner add us to their list of supported forums. Their application supports a lot of different forums now.

Here's a post about it that explains how to use it (you can search for Steve's in the list of forums and add it to the application's favorites to make it easier to browse through forum posts here on a smaller screen).

Tapatalk

You'll see links to free versions of it, too. Their free version is just limited in features (read only) compared to the paid version of it they offer.

In any event, it sounds like your problem with the screen telling you about Forum Runner is that you're not allowing Cookies to be set.

If Cookies are allowed, once you click Cancel on that screen, you shouldn't see it anymore.

So, I'd suggest going into your browser settings and check the box to allow Cookies. You'll find a setting for Cookies under the Privacy section in most browsers (that usually defaults to allow Cookies, since sites use them for a variety of purposes). Most browsers normally default to allow them. So, my guess is that you unchecked the box for that purpose.

That way (Cookies allowed), the site knows you've already seen the message about Forum Runner (that some users like to use for browsing forums on mobile devices with smaller screens), and won't keep showing you that message about it when you're browsing through the forums here.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 9:02 AM   #5
Administrator

BTW, I use Dolphin HD for a browser most of the time with my phone.

If you prefer to see sites in Desktop mode when they have both mobile and desktop sites available, you can set your User Agent in Dolphin so that a site thinks you're using a desktop versus mobile device.

It also comes in handy when sites work with IOS but not Android or vice-versa (since you can set your User Agent to something like an iPhone or iPad if desired). Dolphin uses a WebKit rendering engine (as do the default Android browser, Apple IOS browser and Safari for desktops), rendering of pages is usually very good, and it has a lot of neat features you don't get with the other browsers.

Dolphin HD is available for both IOS and Android. See more about it here:

http://dolphin-browser.com/

They also have a Desktop Toggle add-on that makes it easy to switch your User Agent back and forth between a Desktop and Mobile device without going into the Browser Settings to change it.

That way, even without allowing cookies, you could bypass the notification screen we have up about Forum Runner (which makes it easier to browse forum posts here using mobile devices with smaller screens), just by setting the browser to desktop mode.

But, I'd suggest just allowing Cookies in your browser settings; since in the case of the screen letting members know about Forum Runner when a Mobile device is being used, a Cookie lets the site know if you've already seen it or not (so that if you click Cancel, you shouldn't see it again if Cookies are allowed).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote