Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:58 PM   #1
Default Canon powershot G15

I'm interested in a high end point & shoot with a viewfinder particularly the Canon G15. Steve said the viewfinder was way off.
Don't understand.
ronrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2013, 3:18 AM   #2

My guess is that they were slightly put off by the 85% coverage- so you'll end up with more in the final image than you initially viewed... not a huge issue for me personally and at least your chosen subject is guaranteed to be in there...!
The alignment of the viewfinder and the lens looks fairly central,so it shouldn't be "way off"...
Of course,the closer to a subject you get the less accurate the alignment will be- and for macro work would be hopeless,though I think most would use the screen here anyway.
A very handy little thing however for tracking moving subjects during continuous shooting,as the viewfinder doesn't black out between frames...!

It might be worth,where possible,to go into a store and see how the viewfinder fares- take a shot and compare with the final image on the screen...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 7:52 PM   #3

I have the G 12. I have an eye level viewfinder and the monitor. The eye level viewfinder in my Canon G 12 covers 77 % of the subject. I'm used to my Pentax K-5 DSLR which covers 100 % of the subject.

I find 77 % useless...so I use the live view monitor...which is satisfactory.

If I were looking at a Canon advanced compact like the G 12 or the G 15....I think I would check out the Canon G1X....much bigger sensor...albeit pricier.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote