Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Contact Steve's

Old Sep 8, 2013, 1:04 PM   #1
Default Target audiences

I was just reading your review of the 7D, but this is not about the review itself. In the review (excellent, I might add) you mentioned that this is a speedy camera that would be excellent for those who shoot sports. I just wanted to expand on that a bit at another group worth consideration might be very far off your radar.

I do lots of nature photography (birds, butterflies, dragonflies, as well as landscapes and scenics). Photographing birds, butterflies or dragonflies in flight is challenging to say the least. Perhaps you have no idea that the greater number of such photographers use Canon products (nothing at all negative about Nikon, but Canon seems to prevail here at this time). Following a tern (a somewhat gull-like bird but usually smaller and often more acrobatic in flight) can be an amazing challenge. Likewise trying to nail that butterfly that will stop on a flower for 1/2 a second, after following it in the field for 5 minutes, can tax one's abilities…and patience. Just wanted to make you aware that while sports can be as difficult, so many photographers use this equipment for other things…and a lot of them at that.

I'm smiling because so many people would never think of such subjects when shooting photos at a ball game or following a track meet or a car race. With 48 million Americans involved with birding (erroneously referred to as bird-watching…we don't just 'watch'), and other aspects of nature, you have a whole new market to consider when talking about such things as speed with a camera.

Thanks. I hope this helps a little.

P.S. Still waiting for the 7D MkII to replace my 40D. Sigh!
rwolfert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:46 AM   #2

You make an excellent point here, duly noted. We appreciate your input. Thanks for sharing, and visiting Steve's!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:00 AM   #3

rwolfert- I tend to use the term "moving targets" when referring to the speed of a camera- it covers most bases... and the 40D's still a "good-un"
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote