Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Misc Forums > Digiscoping/Digital Photomicroscopy

Old Jul 13, 2002, 4:42 AM   #1

Default Eurasian Jay with cp4500

Still not sure about this new camera...then again I never trust a new camera (even my replacement 990 wasn't trusted for a month or two) Colours are certainly better than the 990, it's the soft images that worry me...not sure where the extra pixels have gone? the file sizes are only a fraction larger than the 990. Definitely a good camera for digiscoping, light and compact.....fits into your pocket with an adapter on (well, L.C.E. adapter).
Regards,
Andy B
Andybrightuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2002, 9:58 AM   #2

Default Some possibilities...

Hi Andy,
I had the same concerns when I got my EOS-1D and found that even though it was a 4 megapixel camera, the typical jpg file sizes were considerably smaller than my EOS-D30's. I first checked on the amount of compression and found that Canon were using the same basic compression levels on both. Since the 1D had an additional million pixels, then why were the files typically smaller than with the D30?

After much investigation, I learned that the reason is that "noise" has a great deal to do with file size because it's interpreted as "data" by the compression algorithm and can't be easliy coded for compression. The 1D has an inherently better signal to noise ratio than the D30. Even though the D30 images are buttery smooth and show no visible effects of noise at low ISO, it's accomplished by some electronic wizzardry by subtracting a blank frame from the captured image.

I suspect that the new Nikon CP has inherently better signal to noise than the CP990 and this may account for the smaller file sizes even though the actual pixel count is larger. This may also account for the softer appearance since noise gives a certain degree of the perception of "sharpness". I notice that even though the original capture may look soft, you are able to produce very sharp appearing images. That's the way the D30 and 1D images are - you can sharpen them much more than normal without degrading the quality or producing artifacts of sharpening.

Nice little Jay - love the small blue patch on the wing!

Best regards,

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote